View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Ruba Al_Hebs

PostSubject: Re: 4th Assignment   Thu May 20, 2010 3:07 pm

Moneirah Al-Wetaid wrote:

P.S
my Ruba Smile
you think that "The thing with feathers" describes freedom better than hope, I would agree with you on this plus I guess the birds, feathers and wings are things remind you with pure spirits and spiritual things. would you agree dear friends?

for you all flower

Ohoud Al-amri wrote:
good evening Smile
* I agree WITH Ruba and Moneirah that this poem may
describes freedom better than hop because birds
are the symbol of freedom and peace in this world .
queen

Marwah B wrote:

Also I agree with" Ruba "and "ohoud" that this poem may
describes freedom better than hope because birds
are the symbol of freedom.[b]

Marwah Ba-Snbul

Thank u all for replying, it was so nice of u : )
So, what now? Should we go visit the poet in her grave and tell her our opinion? lol
Anyways, knowing that Emily Dickinson was from the 19th century, we may consider the possibility of different representations for the same symbol from one time to another, more than a hundred years is quite a long time.

Shaikha Al-Habshan wrote:
Salam sunny ,

*To Ruba and Ohoud and others:

Though I agree with you that bird is generally a symbol of freedom, Dickenson uses bird as a symbol of hope to show the similarities between them. Both of them fly towards heaven, may be hope can reach over heaven. Also, both can fly away and come back and both sing regardless the difference between songs. So, I think here “bird” is perfect to express the feeling of hope and successfully she does.

Good point!
Never crossed my mind, actually.

Manal Al-Hagbani wrote:

To Ruba Al-Hebs,
The commentary is marvelous. But there is something that I think is wrong. The sore of the storm refers to difficults and problems of the life which can affect hope little, and so they does not make us feel secure or warm.

Yeah, u're right. I noticed that after I posted my analysis.
Thanks for telling me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Anfal Al-Modarraa'

PostSubject: [b]Hi ladies[/b]   Thu May 20, 2010 3:17 pm

cheers Smile
This poem "Hope is the thing with feathers " is written by Emily Dickinson. The speaker talks about optimism that perches in the soul. If anyone looks at a bird , he/she will find the hope exist in a bird . Despite the bird can not say words, he alawys sings the tune without the words. So , hope makes people do every things that they want like the bird sings every time and flys every where. Also, the sweetest when the bird's voice is heard in the gale . That hope shows a challenge that face difficult things in the life. In addition the speaker hears this voice in the chilliest land and on the strangest sea . This means the hope can be every where in a strong or an easy life .
[u] Embarassed
I very agree with speaker bcause if people don't optimize and don't have hope, they will not be successful in the life

Done
Back to top Go down
View user profile
haya

PostSubject: hello   Thu May 20, 2010 6:00 pm

This poem Hope is the Thing with Feathers written By Emily Dickinson.The main theme of this poem is hope, This shows how optimistic she was, unlike Louis MacNeice in the previous poem .
At the beginning of the poem Emily Dickinson gives us a general definition for the word hope .
ْْْIt s a high feeling in the soul, as a bird which singing the wonderful twitter ,using the tune without words. However,hope dose not ask so may things. Do nothing,but have some faith, hope and optimism.

finally , we must not surrender easly because hope is around us in every place .The language is simple , and there are metaphors .the tone is happy. thes poem have a Beneficial advice which is have a live full of hope and happyness.

Haya F. Al-suqair
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rawan na

PostSubject: Re: 4th Assignment   Thu May 20, 2010 6:04 pm

Emily Dickinson’s " Hope is the Thing With Feathers " . The speaker describes hope and optimism , this is the thought that come to my mind when I read the poem at first time .
Rolling Eyes
However , the speaker uses BIRD and FEATHERS to explain and describe the idea of hope . Wings and singing of the birds are full of hope , freedome and optimism . She uses a simple words and images to enhance the topic . The word " HOPE " it means happiness , optimism and patience ,
that exactly what we need in our lives . We need to be faithful , optimistic and full of hope . Also , we must be strong and never give up on life . The message of the poem seems to say that whatever you face a problems or Difficult circumstances There is always a solution , there is always a way to survive .

Our bodies can not live without water, and our souls can not live without hope .
sunny
Back to top Go down
Felowah

PostSubject: Re: 4th Assignment   Fri May 21, 2010 1:47 am

"Hope is the Thing with Feathers" by Emily Dickinson she talks about the hops. Also, he explains to us what hope mean, And how it makes the bird worm in the storm. In the first line, the speaker her use "thing" because it is feeling then he starts to explain it and compare it with bird by using metaphor. Moreover, the speaker wants to show us how we need hope even in difficult time .
I am agree with Ahlam al_otaibi at "the poet tells us that she heard it in every place in this world no matter where are you what country you are from you will feel hope. hope reach you without a permission"
Back to top Go down
Felowah Mansour Shudid

PostSubject: Re: 4th Assignment   Fri May 21, 2010 1:49 am

"Hope is the Thing with Feathers" by Emily Dickinson she talks about the hops. Also, he explains to us what hope mean, And how it makes the bird worm in the storm. In the first line, the speaker her use "thing" because it is feeling then he starts to explain it and compare it with bird by using metaphor. Moreover, the speaker wants to show us how we need hope even in difficult time .
I am agree with Ahlam al_otaibi at "the poet tells us that she heard it in every place in this world no matter where are you what country you are from you will feel hope. hope reach you without a permission"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dalal Al-moghanam

PostSubject: Re: 4th Assignment   Fri May 21, 2010 2:41 am

"Hope is the Thing with Feathers" is a poem written by Emily Dickinson. In this poem, the speaker talks about hope and he/she describes it as the thing with feathers like birds. Also, the speaker wants to convey a message. The speaker tells us that we should be optimistic and don't give up easily on our lives. In addition, if you are an optimistic person you can achieve your dreams and do anything you want without wraps. On the other hand, if you are a pessimistic person you can't achieve your dreams. I agree with the girls that feathers are symbol of freedom and life.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Basma AL- Dhergham

PostSubject: Re: 4th Assignment   Fri May 21, 2010 2:52 am

Hi Miss flower
Hi Girls Very Happy

This is my comment ,, I hope it's Good king

“Hope is the Thing with Feathers,” by Emily Dickinson’s is very interesting poem
The poem expresses the idea of hope in the spirit of a bird , Dickinson uses imagery, metaphor, to help describe why “Hope is the Thing With Feathers.”
“Hope is the Thing With Feathers,” Dickinson uses the metaphorical image of a bird to describe the abstract idea of hope to giving hope feathersDickinson uses the imagery of a bird’s song to represent hope , because bird is never stop sinning
the poem have a nice imagery that hope it feels like the bird in the sky to fly freely also the speaker represented that everyone should have hope because hope is a goal of your life .
Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sarah Al-Homidi

PostSubject: Re: 4th Assignment   Fri May 21, 2010 3:46 am

"Hope is the Thing with Feathers" is a poem written by Emily Dickinson. It talks about hope and optimism in the life of the people. In this poem, the speaker sends a message to people that they should be optimistic in life without stopping in the confrontation of difficulties and problems. He describes the optimistic like the bird that defies storms and wind despite the existence of hardship. In addition, the hope gives us the power to facing all difficulties, continue to work and carry on life forward no matter what happens.
Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ahlam Sa

PostSubject: Re: 4th Assignment   Fri May 21, 2010 4:45 am

"Hope is the thing with feathers" is a poem written by Emily Dickinson.The speaker talk in

this poem about hope and how is it the most beautiful thing in the hole world. Then she

describes it as a bird when she said,"Hope is the thing with feathers" because the bird is

free fly in any where. Then, the birds always song hope without using word ,"And sings the

tune without the words". Also, it would require a terrifying storm to ever “abash the little Bird

/ That kept so many warm.” . Finally,in last stanza the speaker said that she is heard the

bird song wich is the hope’s voice , but never, no matter how extreme the conditions, did it

ever ask for a single crumb from her. So, we figure out from this poem a certain message

wich is hope never end.
Back to top Go down
Manal Al-Hagbani

PostSubject: Re: 4th Assignment   Fri May 21, 2010 5:07 am

Hello girls,

Thank you shaikha, that's from your nice Smile

Ruba anytime sweety Very Happy

flower
Back to top Go down
View user profile
layan

PostSubject: Re: 4th Assignment   Fri May 21, 2010 6:29 am

this poem is "Hope is the thinh o feathers" written by Emily Dickinson. this poem is talk about a hope how can make a good life .then you can complete life .the speaker compares hope is like a bird. this songbird gives you a optimstic for life . when you have a diffecult problems in life, you can pationt with hope .hope is help you to complete and happy . the speaker is talk about her expierience . And the affect of hope in her diffecult life . Also, she becomes better when she have a hope . hope is importance thing in our life . everyone needs hope in his life to make a beautful life.
Back to top Go down
Maha K. Al Dreweesh

PostSubject: Re: 4th Assignment   Fri May 21, 2010 7:25 am

Hi , I am sorry to post it in the
last day tongue

here is my comment

If you are smile and happy even when you are in difficult situation that means you are like a strong bird which fly against the storm . That what Emily Dickenson shows the reader in this poem . Everyone can be an optimistic person . Even though disable people they can cheer their lives and enjoy their time . Also , people who can not talks they may feel the tune without words and everyone should find something makes him more happy and carefree . In addition , live is not easy as mush as you think but if it seems more difficult you should be more optimism . You can find happiness time in every place land , sea and it ask you to pay a smile to be in happy land .
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hadeyah Bishi

PostSubject: Re: 4th Assignment   Fri May 21, 2010 7:56 am

In this poem the speaker takes about hope that lives inside his heart. It is admirable feeling as a power that moves in heart. As the bird which holds the branch of a tree to be stand as a optimistic human who combats the problems in his life and furbishes the hope. And it has been although hardest of that land, violence of sea, but it stills to hold it and ingather a crumb of him.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ahad Al-Fahad

PostSubject: Re: 4th Assignment   Fri May 21, 2010 8:06 am

Hello

This poem shows us how hope is beautiful as a bird , bird uses his feathers to go far away . Also the hope takes our souls to wonderful land. Hope is beauty like a sing , even if it without words , it has tone that gives her beauty and power . That means hope is something we cann't touch and see ! hope is a strong thing that makes you love and live your life as possible as you can. The amazing hope is when you are on the middle of storm, on the unnormal sea and you still optimistic that means more you have problems more you have sweetest hope.

Good noted Ruba and girls.... I think birds, sky, soul fly , and feathers mean freedom more than hope. But Also Manal commentary is wonderful . It makes me read it again ^.^
Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Maram Al-Numair

PostSubject: Re: 4th Assignment   Fri May 21, 2010 8:22 am

[left]The poem "Hope is the Thing with Feathers" is by Emily Dickinson. The writer shows magnificence of hope and optimism in life. She said that we need hope. Hope like a shining light which gives you live. The people confrontation a problems and difficult times there is hope like a bird confrontation a wind and storms when flying ..Also , hope make human like a birds flying in the sky and singing the wonderful twitter. And bring happiness into our souls. The optimist looks at the life is positive , despite the presence of all the difficulties faced by human being in his life. we should not lose hope.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hayat Al Waily

PostSubject: Re: 4th Assignment   Fri May 21, 2010 8:25 am

Hello
afro

"Hope is the Thing with Feathers" is poem worte by Emily Dickinson.The auther show her idea about the hope and send a message to the readers to live their life and be stronge and don't stop beacuse tommorow will be better in simile technic .

the poem has many of imagery , simile like the hope as bird which sings and doesn't stop. and here i think she means the human who doesn't stop and give up and still want to try .
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hala AL-Sayed

PostSubject: Re: 4th Assignment   Fri May 21, 2010 8:26 am

Thanks Mrs.ohood ,,this poem touched my soul..
The speaker in this poem describes and compares hopes with bird .so, he says that hope keeps the soul in the highest level of power .it's just like the bird that fly so high in the sky. As we all know ,the most comfort sound is the bird sings ,which's bring all kind of relaxation . so, the speakers uses this metaphor to shows us that hope is just like the bird singing .it brings comfort and relief for the soul. Especially ,when we have a hard time and need something to keep us fighting and facing the difficulties of life. I think by using words like "chilliest land /strangest sea " ,he represents the pain and problems of life which really could bring u down . in brief , remember "whenever you feel hopeless ,there always a light that shines through ". Don't forget that you able to face whatever life will bring to you.
P.S..
you know Ruba you really have a good point ,,may be because we used to links the freedom with the birds especailly the dove..so,maybe her "hope" is freedom..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Haila AL-Obaieed

PostSubject: Re: 4th Assignment   Fri May 21, 2010 8:35 am

The poem "Hope is the Thing with Feathers" by Emily Dickinson is about pushing people to be optimistic . She compares the hope with birds like when she says" Hope is the thing with feathers" she means that hope is like feathers which make bird fly and without feathers it cannot fly it is like a dead bird . Also people need hope to live, person without hope can never do anything, he is like a dead person .In other word , the importance of hope to people have the same importance of feather to birds. She says hope is in your heart and you cannot say "I have hope" , but your deeds will make people know that you are optimistic. And with hope you will not stop doing what you do, even if it is terrible. You can face and deal with your difficulties if you have a little hope , but if you have a complete hope you will own the whole world. Hope is the most important thing in life, and it makes your soul up , and you can have it anywhere and anytime. Even if you do not have anyone beside you, if you cannot walk ,see or hear , your faithful in Allah and your hope will make your do miracles .

thank you girls all your comments makes me see one side that I never think about it .

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Reem Al-Anazi

PostSubject: Re: 4th Assignment   Fri May 21, 2010 9:18 am

Hi,,
The title ‘Hope’ refers in general to a thing or feeling that can be seen like a bird that has feathers. Hope ‘perch’ or sit on the soul. Hope and soul are unseen things and that the bird is a metaphor defining hope. In this poem, whatever is being said of the bird applies to hope. The bird ‘sings’. The tune is ‘without words’. While hope is a matter of feeling about the future, a feeling which consists both of desire and expectation. The poet tries to ask if hope never fails us, or is it always possible in our life?

During a storm when things are going well hope is the ‘sweetest’ but we still need hope most when things are going badly during the storm.

Sore is when the storm is very severe; abash means to make ashamed, embarrassed, or self-conscious. Essentially only the most extreme or impossible to escape the storm and it would affect the bird/hope. If the bird is ‘abashed’ what would happen to the individual's hope? In a storm, a bird would be ‘kept warm’ but if not it will die like hope.

When the place would be the ‘chillest’, it means very cold place and no one wants to go there. No one would like to go on a vacation there, for instance. Yet in this coldest land, hope kept the individual warm. The speaker wish to be warm with hope and describe ‘the strangest sea’ as a place to visit. The bird, faithful and unabashed, follows and sings to the speaker (‘I've heard it’) in the most threatening places.

The last two lines, the bird never asked for even a ‘crumb’ in return for its support. The word ‘crumb’ would tell of satisfaction like if someone offered ‘a crumb’ for something done in favour. The word ‘a crumb’ is appropriate to be given to a bird if doing a favour like other things.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ashjan Al-suliman

PostSubject: Re: 4th Assignment   Fri May 21, 2010 9:29 am

hi there =)

Hope is something we can not live without it, that is what the speaker want to say through her words. Hope and pain are words in opposite,but we have them in our lives. Some times, we go through pain storm for along time,but whenever we find glim of hope, we souldn't give up and let the despair dominate our lives.Whatever life surpries us we have to fight and continue what you want to do or ask for.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Al-Annod Al-Sayary

PostSubject: Hope is the thing with feathers   Fri May 21, 2010 9:52 am

The poem "Hope is thing with feathers" is written by Emily Dickinson's. The poem examines abstract idea of hope in the free spirit of a bird. The speaker uses imagry to help describe why "Hope is thing with feathers". He describes hope as abird that perches in the soul. The imagery of feathers conjures up hope in itself. The feathers represents hope because father enable you to fly and offer the feather of flying away to anew hope . The speaker uses a powerful image of a person abashing the bird of hope that gives comfort and warmth for so many. The song of hope sounds sweetest "In the Gale". He says that she has heard the bird of hope but never no matter how extreme the condition did it ever ask for a single crumb from her.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Asma Al-mashan

PostSubject: Re: 4th Assignment   Fri May 21, 2010 10:02 am

hello.. flower flower

this is my comment,and sorry for late Embarassed

"Hope is the thing with feathers" it is a poem by Emily Dickinson. The speaker compare the hope with free bird that can fly to high. She thinks that the hope can take our soul take our soul to any where, make us sings and act happily. "sings without words" is a symbol of happy , which mean we are happy because of the feeling of hope and freedom that in our soul. In addition if the hope is inside us it will never end or stop and we will enjoy our life and be happy. However, hope is thing that with it we can face all the difficult in our life also it keeps the warm inside us.

I agree with shaikha in her comment* that the bird is symbol of freedom and hope in the same time. And I think they complete each other, with the freedom and hope you can do many things enjoy your life and reach your goal.

*To Ruba and Ohoud and others:

Though I agree with you that bird is generally a symbol of freedom, Dickenson uses bird as a symbol of hope to show the similarities between them. Both of them fly towards heaven, may be hope can reach over heaven. Also, both can fly away and come back and both sing regardless the difference between songs. So, I think here “bird” is perfect to express the feeling of hope and successfully she does
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nuha Abdoallah

PostSubject: Re: 4th Assignment   Fri May 21, 2010 10:21 am

Hi,

Emily Dickinson wrote this poem when she was thirty years of age without marriage and at that time in 1860 and she might lived an emotional feelings because of this. Without getting married she felt disappointment in her life. During Dickinson’s time, the only way for women was through marriage; unmarried women were to stay without social position. Through her poetry she tried to explain what was inside of her self, her heart, her mind, and her soul. The poem talks of suffering and of despair and hope.
‘Hope’ is the ‘Thing with Feathers’ to mean something as a bird. ‘Hope’ is like a white dove. By imagining the bird sitting inside one’s soul, singing a wordless tune. The bird usually fly to the wider space and there can be a strong storm. It can survive and can make a noise ‘sweetest is heard’ and, the strong storm can (‘abash’), humiliate the bird. Moreover, the bird not only can survive but can sing and keep others warm like a mother bird keeping her chicks during a storm.
The poem begins by depicting hope as something that lives inside one, as part of the self, ‘perching’ in the soul, and it ends by showing it as something outside, separate from the self, free of human control.
When a place the ‘chillest’, it means very cold. People usually prefer warm places for travel during winter. The poet wishes for hope to feel warmer when at ‘the strangest sea’. Hope like bird song ‘I've heard it’ in the most threatening places.
The concluding two lines, beginning with ‘Yet’ imply a contrast to what has not been stated. The implication is that the bird has given something useful to the poet but ‘never asked a crumb’ in return, even in the worst ‘Extremity’. Hope is needed and it seeks nothing in return.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Muneerah

PostSubject: Re: 4th Assignment   Fri May 21, 2010 11:18 am

Salam everyone
From the title I noticed that this poem talks about hope. The speaker wants to send a message that everyone should have hope . Also he wants us to be optimistic not be depressed and disappointed. The hope is allowed for everybody for poor and rich, for men and women . That’s why the title is `` Hope is the Thing with Feathers``. Finally, without hope the heart would break.

Muneerah Zaid Al-Kharan
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 4th Assignment   

Back to top Go down

4th Assignment
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next