HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

5th (LAST) assignment

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
haya

PostSubject: WORK   Sun May 30, 2010 3:33 pm

This poem The Mother by Gwendolyn Brooks affects us .this poem is a sad Symphony played by the poet.
She tells her story when she aborted her baby and now she fells sorry . like many other women in this life.
She went under through this bad Experience. During this journey the mother cut short her experience and details of gradients suffering from slavery in the struggle for survival . and self-assertion and freedom from slavery and servitude,
Girls who are stolen from the home "Africa" for hundreds of years.

Having realized that the woman has weaknesses and I knew what was lacking began to walk the road to freedom. Although ignorance of the read-only to withstand it and for her children bore all difficulties, overcome the difficulties.

She feels guilty for the death of her children and also she feels that it is she responsible for the death of her children and the voices of her children chasing her to Vengeance. Here there is some kind of “TONE” like she is hesitated or can’t express her feelings. She said that you were born like any human being and you died normal. It is just that you didn’t laughed like everyone. You didn’t live your life or enjoy it.

In fact, she is trying to convince herself to make it easier for her. She didn't think it's a crime, because she realizes she's saving them from the society that she lives in.

In short, this poem talk about a big issue which is abortion. The mothers can not forget own children. Then, those how do this they egret themselves because the child have a soul, it is not easy to kill them with any reason.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sara tami al-bugami

PostSubject: Re: 5th (LAST) assignment   Sun May 30, 2010 4:40 pm

hello ..
This poem The Mother by Gwendolyn Brooks. The poem reflects what a women deal with in abortion. From the beginning of the poem you feel
the sadness inside mother heart and we feel sympathy for all the mothers whom been through this Experian's when she wrote "Abortions will not let you forget " that the
abortions will not let you forgot the amazing feeling that you feel in-depth of your heart because abortion is hurt every single women when it happened to here because being pregnant is the dream of all the girls in this whole world but after what she did she feel guilty and she feels that is her responsibility for all of this espacliy the death of her children at the end I think shy try to explain for the mother and try to teach them the inner feeling that she had been through It after that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sumayah AL-Ghailan

PostSubject: Re: 5th (LAST) assignment   Mon May 31, 2010 3:30 am

[size=12]The Mother is a poem which written by Gwendolyn Brooks
She is an African-American woman who suffered from racism.
She tells her story when she aborted her children, and she feel sorry for all thing she did with her baby. She is thinking now what did she do? She is afraid from the life it self because of suffering from racism. She don’t want her children to be like her. She want for her baby to be happy and proud in their life. So, the think if she aborted her children, they will be fine and better than being a life in this world. She feels sorry for that and she love her baby. With all of that, she imagine about her baby, how they play?. How they eat? And what kind of life they would have?. She felt remorse for what has happened but she still believe that she have reasons for the abortion. Finally, some people don’t want to be suffered from any thing, and they can not live in this life with no life. They want to be like all people do what ever they want. So, they want their right to be normal people in the society, and to live normal life.
[/size]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
huda Al

PostSubject: hi   Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:11 am

" The mother " is poem written by Gevendoly Brooks ( 1917 - 2000)
the poet talks about her sad story when she abrrted her children .
Now , she feels sorry . she wants to send amessage to is telling her story as an example to every women may think of abortian sd achoice . she says that
for her it was her only choice ,but romorse is killing her she says that she is
still hearing her children crying in her mind " I have heard in the vioces of the wind the voices of my dim killed children , which makes her started talking to her babies as if they are alived , telling them why did she does that? trying to find an excuse . she is confused " what to say " she wants her children to understand that she was not planing to kill them, may be she thinks that they
were never made which makes her feels same kind of ease or maybe she had no choice in that time or maybe it was someone else who did it " whine that crime was other than mine"
at the end she talks about how much she loves her children " belive me , I loved you all believe me "

هدى المطيري
Back to top Go down
Hala AL-Turki

PostSubject: The mother   Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:47 pm

"The Mother" is the title of poems by Gwendolyn Brooks . The Poem about abortion and the true feelings of the mother . It is a sad poem Sad . The speaker is the mother. The mother narrates her story when she aborted her baby . After that , she feels sorry and she cannot forget this experience No No . Also, she looking for reasonable cause to abort .At the end of the poem, the mother shows her love for her child I love you .
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ohoud Al-Ameel

PostSubject: Re: 5th (LAST) assignment   Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:32 pm

hello everybody ..

"The Mother" is written by Gwendolyn Brooks woman who suffered from racism.The speaker wants to convey the feeling of mother when she abort her baby.In fact , it is a bad feeling for mother and never forget it .She remembers her childern and she regrets. Also , she discribes her pain when she lose her childern and that pain not easy for a mother .As well as , she uses a strong images .In addition , she loves them so much and she tries to emphasize this when she says(I loved you, I loved you all). Finally, she asking them to forgive her .

Actually , this poem talks about the difficult moment that any mother can live it . truly , is a bad feeling and unforgettable .

that's it

flower
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Reem Al-Anazi

PostSubject: Re: 5th (LAST) assignment   Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:52 am

Hi,

In this poem, ‘The Mother’, the poet expresses her regret and her desire for the children to which she did not give birth because of abortion.

It is her emotion in the poem that highlight her confusion and regret. She is apologetic, regretful, reproachful and frustrated in her attempts to explain herself. She is reprimand herself and her reactions to the unborn child.

She has experienced a number of abortions and now has regret her actions. You can feel the regret she is going through when reading the poem. She explains that she had no other choice. It is a heartfelt poem where she talks bout how she will not be able to do certain things for the children that she aborted. This poem reflect what many other women feel when they deal with apportion.

The poem starts by ‘Abortions will not let you forget’ which sounds like the woman is talking about abortion in general. She is talking about the future that she will never forget that killed child. Things like ‘You will never wind up the sucking-thumb or scuttle off the ghosts that come’ are some of the things that will never happen and the women are reminded of the pain they are going through.

In the second part, the woman is talking about her pain and loss ‘I have heard in the voices of the wind the voices of my dim killed children’. She is disturbed by her own children cries that she hears in her mind. She tries to tell why she did what she did. It feels as though she can't control her emotions and finally breaks down. She focuses on her children. She is asking for some understanding when she says, ‘Believe that in my deliberateness I was not deliberate. . . . Though why should I whine’. Her objection was ‘the crime was other than mine’.

She did what she had to do. She couldn't handle having kids at that time because of her situation, whatever it was, so she had to make an abortion. She didn't think it was a crime, but society has made her believe it is not a crime but she still feels guilty about what she did. She makes some excuses by saying: ‘Since you are dead’, ‘or rather, or instead, you were never made’.

In the last part, She doesn't know what to say about what she had done. She says ‘You were born, you had body, you died’. These excuses to overcome her disagreement. ‘Believe me, I knew you, though faintly, and I loved, I loved you All.’ She knew her children because they were part of her when they were in her body. She emphasizes that she loved them although she did what she had to do.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nouf Al-Mutairy

PostSubject: Re: 5th (LAST) assignment   Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:09 am

The poetry wants to tell us the story of the mother who lost her baby because of the abortion. She said that she will never forget her baby along her life because the mother can not forget her baby even if she lost him before it's born. Although she did not see him but she can imagine all his moves even his sucking-thumb. She can see him well and he controls all of her senses totally. She can hear the voice of the children as a whisper through the wind. She thought that if she was lucky, she would have them between her arms and suck them from her breasts.
She feels herself killed her baby by poisoned him in the beginning of her pregnant and she regret about every second in her life living without her baby. She hoped to live with him all of his situations either of happiness or sadness. Whatever the reason of his dead, she did not know what she can say about his dead.
She wants to tell him that she loves him a lot and will still love him to the end of her life.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nuha Abdoallah

PostSubject: Re: 5th (LAST) assignment   Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:15 pm

Hello ...

In Islam abortion is forbidden. Allah condemned that act and it is a kind of unlawful killing of a human being and can be considered as a mass murder of the whole of mankind. Some Muslims say that abortion is allowed if the foetus is younger than four months before an angel is sent to that foetus to blow the Ruh into it.

It is no wonder, then the act of abortion is something that is regretful. Any women wish to have children of her own and to give birth to a healthy child.

Here in the poem there is so much confusion and regret for giving birth. The poet had experienced abortion and now she apologies for her act. She is regretful and frustrated by her attempts and tries give some explanation why she did this. She is sorry for not having that unborn child.

The reader of the poem can feel her regret and pain she is going through. She tries to explains that she had no other choices. She talks bout her feelings for the children that she can’t give birth to and abandon. These feelings are the same feelings that many other women will feel when they do abortion.

In the poem ‘Abortions will not let you forget’ as warning for any woman about abortion. Because in the future that woman will never forget that killed child. Things like ‘You will never wind up the sucking-thumb or scuttle off the ghosts that come’ are some of the things that will never happen and the women are reminded of the pain they are going through.

In the other part of the poem ‘I have heard in the voices of the wind the voices of my dim killed children’ the woman is disturbed by her children's cries she sometime hears in her dreams. She sometime can't control her emotion and feels as if she will faint. She thinks of her own unborn children. She wants to reveal what is in her heart ‘Believe that in my deliberateness I was not deliberate’ , ‘Though why should I whine’. To resist ‘the crime was other than mine’.

She did something wrong. She couldn't have children at that time because of her circumstances so she had to make an abortion. She didn't think it was a big crime, because in the American society people normally believe that it is not a crime but she can’t hide her feelings of guilt. She thinks of something to entertain herself: ‘Since you are dead’, ‘or rather, or instead, you were never made’.

In the last section, She says ‘You were born, you had body, you died’ and ‘Believe me, I knew you, though faintly, and I loved, I loved you All. These words are used here to overcome her bad feelings of her difficult situation. She has got rid of her children but she still love them.

[/size]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Amal AL-

PostSubject: The last poem   Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:29 am

"The Mother" is a poem written by Gwendoly Brooks,When I read this poem,I think she speaks about abortion,an issue that is very painful and the true feelings of the mother . There was a completely different set of reasons for an abortion at that time and place. that describes the sorrows of women at that era.really felt strong emotions when reading "The Mother" .
Actually , this poem talks about the difficult moment that any mother can live it . truly , is a bad feeling and unforgettable .

Amal AL-Bawardi drunken
Back to top Go down
lulu alm

PostSubject: the mother   Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:49 am

"The Mother," by Gwendolyn Brooks, is about a mother she is African American woman who suffered from racism . and it is talking about abortion. she call her poem "the mother" but she does not have any baby all of them died because of abortions . She has complex feeling . she abort herself because she don't want her baby live in racism like her .
At the beginning she speaks general . after that she talks about the amazing feeling the mother feels when she have a baby , she will forget all the pain she feels before . she explain why she abort herself . she does not have a cause to abort and she feel regret . finally , she shows how much she like the babies '' Believe me, I loved you all.
Believe me, I knew you, though faintly, and I loved, I loved you
All."

lulu al-muneef
Back to top Go down
Al-Anood Al-Mudemmeg

PostSubject: Re: 5th (LAST) assignment   Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:07 am

Hi evryone

This poem "The Mother" is written by Gwendolyn Brooks talks about a women who facing a many of abortions and shows her feeling. The pome's speaker is mother. She wants to tell a story and her feeling. Also, she can't forget this experience because the feeling is very sad. At the end, she shows how much she loves your children.

I don't like this poem it is very sad No

By the way , thank you ms.ohoud for evrything you did flower Rolling Eyes

Embarassed
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Marwah B

PostSubject: 441   Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:25 am

[siThis poem" The Mother" is written by Gwendolyn Brooks. The speaker is a mother tells her story when she aborted her baby and now she feels sorry for that. She realize that the abortion will not let her forget her children. She still remember them all the time. Also she hear their voice as whisper in her mind. Now she is regretful and feels guilty. She consider that as she killed her children by her hands. She thinks that she maybe has an excuse because black women at that time suffered from racism so they did not want their children suffer like them. But this not an excuse for what she did. She is warning the women who did not Abortion yet from pain and guilt that they will feels about after what they did.

Marwah Ali Ba-Sunbul
ze=18][/size]
Back to top Go down
Manal Al-Hagbani

PostSubject: Re: 5th (LAST) assignment   Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:35 pm

''The mother'' by Gwendolyn Brooks, is a sorrowful, distressing poem about a mother who has experienced numerous abortions. While reading the poem, you can feel the pain, heartache, and grief she is feeling. She is both remorseful and regretful; nevertheless, she explains that she had no other alternative. It is a sentimental and heart wrenching poem where she talks about not being able to do things with the children that she aborted; things that people who have children often take for granted.

The first stanza starts with ''Abortion will not let you forget,'' which sounds like the women is talking in general terms. She is talking about how future experiences will never take place. Things like ''you will never wind up the sucking-thumb or scuttle off the gosts that come,'' are some of the many things that will not be done. The women being told this are reminded of the pain they are going through.

In the second stanza, the women is talking about her pain and loss. She is haunted by her own children's faint cries that she hears only in her mind. Then she starts talking to her children in order to explain to them why she did what she did. She tries to get rid of the guilt. She probably couldn't handle hawing babies at that time because of her situation, so she had an abortion. She feels guilty, but she tries to brush off this feeling.

In the third stanza, she tries to find out what she did. She also tries to make excuses for what she did, but she cannot prevent her strong emotions. She knew her children because they were a part of her being that they were in her body. She concludes by emphasizing that she loved them greatly although she did what she had to do.

Many images are conveyed throughout the poem. When Brooks mentions ''the singers and workers that never handled the air,'' it gives off an air of gloom and sadness. Also, when she starts to address her children, saying, ''you were born, you had a body, you died,'' she proffioirally transfers her strong feelings of sadness to the reader. Generally, she completely managed to affect the reader.

To Hana:
I think there is no hint refers that she is reproaching the society for her nights. She is only expressing her feelings of sadness, for aborting her children.

To Ruba:
Aborting her children is not mission to be accomplished; it is bad deed. Also, the mother is too sad that she cannot tolerate the pain. So, she had never planned to do this. She probably were obliged to do what she did.
Always, I like to read your comments, Ruba.

shikah, I am waiting for your comment Smile

I cannot believe this is the last assignment. No I actually enjoyed doing these assignments.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Abeer Al-Shaibani

PostSubject: Re: 5th (LAST) assignment   Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:01 am

Salam everyone,

How are you all?

Here's my analysis ..

"The Mother" was written by Gwendolyn Brooks. Gwendolyn Brooks sends a message throughout the poem by the speaker to all the mothers who are thinking about having a abortions. She reminds them with the sweet life of being a mother and the ability of raising their children and seeing them growing up and achieve something in their lives. The speaker is a woman who had aborted her children. The poem starts with her regret for having abortions. She remembers these children and the people that they could have become, " The singers and workers that never handled the air". Also, she regrets not being able to play the role of a mother, "You will never wind up the sucking-thumb/ Or scuttle off ghosts that come./ You will never leave them, controlling your luscious sigh,/ Return for a snack of them, with gobbling mother-eye.". As the poem goes on, the speaker lives in a killing guilt and regrets more and more the children she had aborted that their ghosts are hunting her because she has stolen their lives, "I have heard in the voices of the wind the voices of my dim killed children.". She keeps on describing the act of abortion as many horrible deeds such as: killing, stole, sinned and poisoned. But, she wants to declare that it might not be her fault and she might be forced to do it, " Whine that the crime was other than mine?". Even though abortion might not be her fault, she has conflict within herself and She understands that she is at fault and is ashamed that she took their lives, "But that too, I am afraid,/ Is faulty: oh, what shall I say, how is the truth to be said?", but still loved them, " Believe me, I knew you, though faintly, and I loved, I loved you All."

Mwafa8een 2n sh2 Allah ..
C U ..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sarah Al-Homidi

PostSubject: Re: 5th (LAST) assignment   Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:06 am

"The Mother" is a poem written by Gwendolyn Brooks. It is generally about a mother who had many abortions and now has remorse. She cannot forget this experience, because the feeling of sadness and regret follow her. The speaker starts by stating that one cannot forget the aborting of a child. the mother remembers these children and the people. And she regrets not being able to perform motherly duties. However, she is talking about her pain and loss. She cannot control her emotion for what she did. In addition, she tries to figure out about what she did. She tries to make excuses for what she did, but her emotions conquer her denial. flower
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sarah Al-Khazzi

PostSubject: Re: 5th (LAST) assignment   Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:25 am

Hello everyone,
YeeY it is our last assignment

"The Mother" is a poem written by, Gwendolyn Boorks. Nowadays, people suffer from racism, and it is very hard for anyone to face racism or suffer from it. The writer in this poem gave the picture of racism as a mother and aborted child. The aborted child is black people. Since abortion has become a very sensitive subject like racism. She writes this poem to show that life is not easy, and life is not for whites only. In the begging, she is talking to the mother and shows the feeling a mother has for her aborted child, then from talking to the mother to talking to the aborted child. It is a sad poem that shows regret for the child that the mother never gave birth to. The child in the poem is the black people, and she describes their appearance. The speaker in this poem wants to deliver a message to the white people to show them how they are (the black people) suffer in their life, and they have to do something to stop it.

Thank you,
wishing you the best of luck with yout exams.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Huda Al-dosari

PostSubject: 5the assignment   Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:03 am

salam,
How are you everyone?
This is my comment.

Gwendolyn Brooks' poem "The mother" tells us about a mother who had many abortions. The narrator expresses regret and a desire for the children to which she did not give birth as a result of abortion. The speaker conflicts with herself she regrets killing her children "The damp small pulps with a little or with no hair ".The speaker tells what she will never do with her children that she killed. She will "never neglect", "beat", "silence", "buy with sweet", " scuffle off ghosts that come", "controlling your luscious sigh/ return for a snack", "giggled", "planned", and "cried.". She also wishes she could see their "marriage", "aches", "stilted", play "games", and "deaths." She regrets even not giving them a "name" and "breaths." The mother knows that her decision will not let her forget by using the phrase "Abortions will not let you forget." The external conflict lets us know that she did not acted alone in her decision making. She mentions "believe that even in my deliberateness I was not deliberate" and "whine that the crime was other than mine." The speaker says that her decision to have an abortion was not final but someone forced her into that decision. The external conflict is that she cannot forget the pain on the day of having the abortions. She mentions the "contracted" and "eased" that she felt having abortions. She also sees that children who is playing outside and wishes that the children were hers. She hears the "voices of the wind of my dim killed children." When she hears the sounds of the children playing, she knows she was wrong in killing her own children, but she mentions she "loved" them all.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
maha al-otaibi

PostSubject: Re: 5th (LAST) assignment   Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:22 am

Hi

good day to day>> Sleep

"The Mother," by Gwendolyn Brooks, it is simple poem.In general is about the abortion , children ,and love but this is a poem about loss and about the attempt of the mother to revivify the dead children while at the same time acknowledging that they are dead by her choice.
begins by declaring that "Abortions will not let you forget," and goes on to problematize the question of aborted life.
She can not forget this experience, because the feeling of sadness and regret follow her
then, she chooes "I have heard in the voices of the wind the voices of my dim killed children," she has heard in the wind the voices of her and has suffered because of it.
She unequivocally looks at the fact that the children have been killed, cut off from life before having a chance to experience it.
And another hand , love children that show she honest and regret about her feeling, when she used "Believe me, I knew you, though faintly, and I loved, I loved you all" and she used repetition to show how she love ,care and sad for lost baby.
Finally, The mothers can not forget own children ,even though she abortion her baby and lost it

happy nice day cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Noura Al-Ajlan

PostSubject: Re: 5th (LAST) assignment   Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:31 am

Hi Miss , how r u =$
Hi everbody

I hope all have a good day.

this is my comment :

Gwendolyn Brooks’s woman who suffered from racism writes “The Mother”. This poem tells the story of a woman of African descent suffer from racism. Moreover, is also talking about abortion. In this poem speaks of this woman for what you feel the pain and sorrow for what she did when her baby was abort. Moreover, feel pain, sorrow, and guilt and they feel guilty for what she did. She was suffering from racism because it has black color. And aborted the child because she does not want to suffer like her. It also regrets, saying it was an amazing feeling when the mother have a child.
Finally, this poem tells the story of the difficult moments experienced by this mother is feeling is very bad and will never forget that.

I hope it's right.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Reem Al-Qattan

PostSubject: Re: 5th (LAST) assignment   Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:41 am

The poem "the mother" by Gwendolyn Brooks talks about mothers and about what they will lose during the abortion. The speaker shows to us the desire of the children to live, and the mothers that didn't give their children the birth. That is doing didn't let her forget or let go. Maybe a child that didn't breathe will become a singer or worker. Then, the speaker talks to the mothers, and remember them how sweating the children is. When they buy some of candy or suck his thumb. Or even when he calls his mother at night for imagining ghosts. In this time she will be never selfness. When they ask them for a snake and give to him with a mother eye.

Now, the mother tells us what she hears, the sound of weeping of murder her child. She was as a contracted or even blind when she leaves her children without sucking. In this time she knows she does a sin and takes the live from unborn child. Also, she discovers her uncompleted live with stealing the birth days, names, baby's cry and their games. In addition, the other things that she will miss such as: the love, noisy, marriage, pains and the death. Then, she blames them. If she deliberates and thinks for a few minutes, she will not be in this situation. Even if she finished of her problem and she stills afraid. Now, she weeps herself and loses that little body that never giggled or cried.

Finally, the speaker confirms on the love for those children although of her fearful.

rendeer jocolor geek
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Manal Al-Rasheid

PostSubject: 5th (LAST)assignment.   Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:07 am

Hello , Smile

The mother is a short poem, written by Gwendolyn Brooks .The title
"The mother" is ironic for this mother who lost her children because of very hard situations. The poem is about the mother who has a number of abortions and now she remorse.

In first stanza , it talks about that abortion will not be forget.

In second stanza, the women talk about her pain and loss. In "I have heard in the voices of the wind the voices of my dim killed children " she is haunted by her own children's faint cries that heards in her mind. Also, she did what she did because of her situation , as a black women she knew what happen to them if they come to life, and at that time she didn't think it was a crime.

In third stanza , she tries to makes excuses for what she did. "Believe me, I knew you ,though faintly, and I love you ,I love you all" she knew her children because they were a part of her body . she emphasizes that she loved them so she did what she did.

It is a great poem shows pain and guilt. Also, shows that sometime you did a bad thing for your love because you think is a best decision.

Bye every one..
queen
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Deemah Al-Draie

PostSubject: --------   Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:11 am

hello Cool

this is my last comment ..

The poem "The mother"written by Gwendolyn Brooks . As we can figure out, this poem is about abortion and the feeling of a mother. For example, when the poet says "the singers and workers that never handled the air" it shows sadness. Actually, we have many vivid images in this poem. Going to the sequence of sadness,longing and the unreached destinies that were shown throughout the poem,we can feel that the poet had strong emotions. In addition, in the middle of the poem, we find that the poet talks to child after talking to the mother and expresses the emotions of sorrow,love and seeking forgiveness.Such moving in addressing, I mean moving from talking to the mother to talking to the child makes the poem flow easily and makes it easy to follow. At the end of the poem, the mother tries to assure her child that she really loves him. I think this is a good poem where we can find true emotions which reflect that the poet was very close to her subject..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Betoul Ali Al-Mahmoud

PostSubject: Re: 5th (LAST) assignment   Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:22 am

Good evening Mrs. Ohoud ,,

The Mother," by Gwendolyn Brooks is a heartfelt and sorrowful poem, about a mother who has experienced a number of abortions and now has regret It is an attempt of the mother to revivify the dead children while at the same time acknowledging that they are dead by her choice.
While reading the poem, we can feel the pain, heartache, distress and grief she is feeling. She is both remorseful and regretful;
The poem starts off with "Abortions will not let you forget," which sounds like the woman is talking in general terms
She looks at the fact that the children have been killed, cut off from life before having a chance to experience it.
Although the mother knows that her children have never been alive, and have never had the chance to know the pleasures other children know, she continues to love them. she tells what she will never do with her children that she killed. She will "never neglect", "beat", "silence", "buy with sweet", " scuffle off ghosts that come", "controlling your luscious sigh/ return for a snack", never hear them "giggled", "planned", and "cried." She also wishes she could see their "marriage", "aches", "stilted", play "games", and "deaths." She regrets even not giving them a "name" and "breaths.".
She hears the "voices of the wind of my dim killed children." When she hears the sounds of the children playing.
The poet is saying that her decision to have an abortion was not final yet but someone forced her into having it anyway. The external conflict is that she cannot forget the pain on the day of having the abortions. She then makes the transition from telling the reader to explaining to her children why she did what she did. she can't control her emotions and finally breaks down. She forgets about the reader and focuses on her children. She is asking for some understanding when she says, "Believe that in my deliberateness I was not deliberate. Though why should I whine," she asks, "Whine that the crime was other than mine
Finally she knows she was wrong in killing her own children, but she mentions she "loved" them all .
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Moneirah Al-Wetaid

PostSubject: Re: 5th (LAST) assignment   Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:48 am

"The Mother", by Gwendolyn Brooks , is about abortion and the mothers'emotions. Abortion is an experience that the mother would never forget. she might forget how much that was painful but still remeber her fetus she lost. I guess that the poet expressed the mother's emotion who lost more than one baby perfectly, because every one reads this poem Immediately tears up.

Expressing such a topic in a poem, gives a hint that she expereinced the abortion under bad circumstances. She's missing her fetus's voice crying in her mind which torture her, his head with or without hair and his sucking-thumb. Oh! she must be forced to abort that child because there is a strong emotional relationship between the mother and her fetus.

Moreover,She feels him moving inside her every day, missing his kicks Sad waiting for his responds, dying to see his face, speaks to him secretly. how come she loses him easily? there must be a very strong reason that this line in somehow gives a hint "Since anyhow you are dead" which I think protecting her kids from dying (in a war or illness or something) before they hold on to her or vise-verca.

In the last lines, she expresses her sorrow for her kids. Telling them she loved 'em, brings a very big question marks above our heads. If you loved 'me how come you aborted'em ?. Unfortunately, there is no acceptable reason for such a crime. God gives us the life to live not to be taken by any one not even our mothers.

I miss this forum and the assignments as well

will my teacher keep it opened for us?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 5th (LAST) assignment   

Back to top Go down

5th (LAST) assignment
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
poetry4 :: Assignments :: Poem #5-