poetry4
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

poetry4

introduction to poetry - level 4

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

2nd Assignment

Go down 
+55
Nawal Al-Fadhel
Hdeel Ad-Dahash
Reem Al-Hemaidi
Manal Al-Hagbani
Amjad Al-majed
shahd allam
Shaikha Al-Habshan
Ahlam Al-Rowili
Raneem AL-Suliman
Hind Al-ketheriy
Moneerah Al-Subeeh
Bedoor Al-Ali
Betoul Ali Al-Mahmoud
Asma Al-mashan
Dalal Al-moghanam
Anfal Al-Modarraa'
Ahad Al-Fahad
Maha K. Al Dreweesh
Dalal Al-Flaij
Deemah Al-Draie
Lama AL_Marshed
maha al-otaibi
Hayat Al Waily
Hala AL-Sayed
Ohoud Al-amri
Hadeyah Bishi
Moneirah Al-Wetaid
Manal Al-Rasheid
Basma AL- Dhergham
Felowah Mansour Shudid
Reem Al-Qattan
Sara Al-Subaie
Nuha Abdoallah
Reem Al-Anazi
Haila AL-Obaieed
Ashjan Al-suliman
Hala AL-Turki
may Al-mutiri
Sarah Al-Khazzi
Ahlam Al-otaibi
Moneerah AL-Hantoush
Sarah Al-Homidi
Anwar Al-Baqmi
هند الصالحي
Al-Annod Al-Sayary
Noura Al-Ajlan
Maram Al-Numair
Ohoud Al-Ameel
Ruba Al_Hebs
Lamia AL Nuaim
Norah Al-madi
Hana Al-Akeel
Walaa.Al-ghamdi
Heesa Al-Dosimani
Mrs. Ohoud
59 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
huda Al

2nd Assignment - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: hi   2nd Assignment - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 09, 2010 10:23 am

To the ladies by mary chudeigh is about being married in the 18 th century and how that life is hard for women . In that time women should not look , laugh or speak . she has to obey without arguing ,keep quiet and to answer with anode . the say that " husband and wife are one and the husband is that one " cam describe their life in which women must use her husband mind , talk like him and lone what he loves.
I think the poet wants to send a message which is to stop treating women as a servant and respect her as a human being . she also describe marriage as an unfair relationship because marriage seems to be taking man's side
At the end , the poet says women should stop being the second one in every thing . she wants women to value and proud of their selves .

هدى المطيري
Back to top Go down
Dalal Al-Flaij

PostSubject: Re: 2nd Assignment   2nd Assignment - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 09, 2010 10:47 am

Good evening 2nd Assignment - Page 3 Icon_flower
This poem written in 18th century by women talks about women in her society, the speaker told in that time women
didn't have personality, men were rigor and treated their wives like servant, women couldn't speak or laugh, the speaker hate this and told it isn't accepted, also I agree with her.

Woman in Islam is respected, elevated and takes all her rights, but today in Saudi society not all women takes her rights, some men still don't respect</SPAN></SPAN>
woman and treated her like servants.
Back to top Go down
Maha K. Al Dreweesh

PostSubject: Re: 2nd Assignment   2nd Assignment - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 09, 2010 11:15 am

Very Happy

This poem is about the haughtiness and rigorous men who treatment their wife as a servant . And the speaker want to send an important message to all women . Be strong , value , proud your selves and do not be as a servant to your husband . ( To The Ladies ) she chose ladies for a reason , they are new generation . So , they can be strong and brave than old one . the speaker does not say ( To The Women ) because they are too old to change and be freedom . I agree with Hend Al Salhe 'The speaker taken marriage" ' fatal knot is tied " marriage is a death of any freedom , be single to speak , act and to do what ever you want . Also , I agree with poet in some points . First , some laws inequity women and give green light to men ( man by law supreme has made ) . Second , women must prod themselves and do something to be powerful . One of the most differences between Islam and christen that women can get divorce if the can not complete their life with their husband . But in christen women do not allow to do that . Also, we can say there is some similarity between Saudi society and Christen cultural during 17 th and 18 th centuries . First , it is a worst thing at all when you afraid of anyone as God ( fear her husband as her God ) . But I think it was happening in eastern countries and it happened in our society . Their was women who can not speak and says their opinion in front of men ( Mutes she signs alone ) . May be there are some women still doing that in Saudi society . But I think most of us are more freedom and strong than women in past .
Back to top Go down
Ahad Al-Fahad

PostSubject: Re: 2nd Assignment   2nd Assignment - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 09, 2010 11:29 am

Hello Smile

It`s clear from the title " To the Ladies ", Mary wants to send a message to a lady to be like what she is now and dosn`t marry and link her life with a person who treats her as a servant. The poem talks about woman`s suffer. That`s from the moment she got married, she lost all of her rights.

Obey and obey
and nothing she has to say

Just be what her husband wants
and spends her life in houseworks

She deals with him as a God
while he deals her so bad

A man has a helper which is a law
but at the law list a woman is low

(it`s not very well Embarassed .. but I hope you got the message)

If i was in that age (17th 18th) i would like to be one of the ladies whom the writer spent the message to. And i would listen to her advice and not get married. Especially, in Christianity divorce is not allowed. If they got married they will be together forever even if they do not like each other. It is one of the differences between Christianity and Islam. And the other one, Islam is the religion which protects, saves , honors and venerates the women. She deals as a princess, while Christianity is not!. I think there`s one similarity between them which is obey her husband. But there is a big different in the way of her man treats her !

Also, we can realize the marrige in Saudia is based on cooperation, consulation, love, and devotion. It`s different from that centuary ...

That`s it Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Anfal Al-Modarraa'

PostSubject: [color=green][color=green]Hello[/color][/color]   2nd Assignment - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 09, 2010 11:49 am

This poem "To Ladies" by Mary is about women's rights in Christianity in 18th century .The massage that the speaker is trying to send is to give women all rights and the respect. Also, the poet give women advice to be proud and value their selves . I agree with her to respect the women but I disagree when she said "Men despise" because the wife must respect her husband without loss her pride.
There are differences between women's rights in Christianity and Islamic.
In Christianity , women like servant, were degraded, fear , could not take many of rights, never took any freedom, and could not leave their husband by divorce, because it was forbidden.
In Islamic , women have pride from their childhood to death. A husband work to get money to his wife and children. Also, he give love , respect ,thank….etc to his wife. In addition , when he want do something , he ask his wife and take her opinion if it is good. On the other hand , a wife must be obedient, neat, clear, high-minded, polite, good-humored , and lover. Also she must serve her husband .
In Saudi society today,Some women in son family haven't all right but I believe most women in Saudi have the rights.
Smile Smile
Back to top Go down
Dalal Al-moghanam

PostSubject: Re: 2nd Assignment   2nd Assignment - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 09, 2010 12:06 pm

this poem talk about women and their suffering at that time , they were like a servants and they haven't anything to do in the society so their voices and opinions are not audible , even in marriage ,man is everything. Also, the speaker in this poem ask for the freedom .

Christian men at that time locked up their women and prevented them from mixing with men and put them in a room isolated in the home did so because they didn't believe on them ,heat them and see the sin therein while the Muslim men did the same but they see their wives, mothers and daughters to protected them because they them as a splendid jewels. But there are some men in our society deal with women in a bad way and look at them as a servant like the Christian men in 17th/18th centuries.

Islam gave women the full consideration and authority as men, science and the duty and work is optional. Provide them with assistance in the affairs of the house as a husband, because they are not solely responsible for household chores and not a servant, but a wife.

at the end , I don't no if I agree with her about marrige or not but may be I'll agree with her
if the marrige will be like a prison.
Back to top Go down
Asma Al-mashan

PostSubject: Re: 2nd Assignment   2nd Assignment - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 09, 2010 12:18 pm

hello.. Smile Smile

The poem talk about those dark days of the women rights, so the marriage was like a forever prison, and the man was the jailer, he was rustic selfish and bossy. The poem also shows the women powerless, they can't do or said any thing..
The speaker mention to the ignorance in that age, and the women were not-independent. She was against that live style when she talks about the nuptial contract and said that fatal knot is tight, she want her freedom.

In Islam if the life was hard and the couple can't live together any more, they can divorced, but in Christian just the death can end marriage. Women those days are educated, and know more about there rights but not all women effected by what they learn. Still there is weak women, don’t ask for there right and also we live in masculine society which thinks the women right is just a luxury or departure from the ethics.
If we back to the Islam we will see that it is give the women many right and freedom but we are not apply the Islam as it is
Back to top Go down
Betoul Ali Al-Mahmoud

PostSubject: Re: 2nd Assignment   2nd Assignment - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 09, 2010 12:23 pm

• Good evening teacher ,, Neutral

Hi girls ,, Smile

This poem '' To the Ladies '' by Mary , talks about the bad treatment in the marriage during 17th and 18th centuries. The speaker want to send a message to all woman which is warning from follows that kind of marriage and recommend the woman to be proud which is from the wisdom. All that shows in the last two verses , and the title. The speaker may happen to her a bad experience with the marriage or happen to her relative. She against that kind of marriage which she talks about , because that prevent and deprive the woman from her rights and make her as a servant. Also, the speaker said that the woman just obey and serve her husband.

In my opinion, cheers I agree with the speaker, because that kind of marriage doesn't name as a marriage it names as torment, because the marriage is something not like that. It is joint life between the wife and the husband, they must care about the other.

There are many differences between woman's rights in Christianity and Islam, in Islam the woman cherishes, honors and she has right to divorce. In Islam the woman has freedom as her husband.

Also, there are some of similarities between woman's rights in Christian culture during the 17th and 18th centuries and Saudi society today, some of Saudi follows the same that kind of treatment. But most of Saudi follow what the Islam commands, and they give the woman all her rights. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Bedoor Al-Ali

PostSubject: Re: 2nd Assignment   2nd Assignment - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 09, 2010 12:45 pm

The poem is about the position of women during the 17th and 18th centuries when they did not have their rights , since they were dominated by the men who have all rights so, they are pride of their situation so the speaker sees the woman as servant who must obey her lord who is like the God. However, she suffers the bad treatment who treats her as a prisoner in his gloomy home she is still in her obedience towards him it means that she is submissive. Moreover it seems that is the issue of the speaker herself as a woman who is the victim of the bad treatment of men at this period of the time . However it is not the case for all women in Islamic society since the Islam gives women the rights to choose her husband under the control of their families except some Bedioum customs who force their girls to marry their relatives not only from their customs but they must belong to the same branch .Then the normal result is , there are a lot of girls without marriage .In other side we find out In the Christianity religion divorce is not allowed and the person who married must not be divorced for ever even if anyone of them become made or ill only in the case of death. In my opinion marriage is a holy relationship so it must base on the good understanding between both of them in order to be able to complete the life Journey successfully.
Back to top Go down
Moneerah Al-Subeeh

PostSubject: Re: 2nd Assignment   2nd Assignment - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 09, 2010 1:17 pm

In the poem"To The Ladies"by mary the poet talked about women in the 18th century . How did they treat by men . Women in that period treated as aservant or as amaid .All her duties are service her husbend and all the time say yes for all his opinion . On other hand , man in his home as aprince spoiled.Who has any thing beautiful. The poets message for men to treat thier women in agood way and give them all their rights. And for women to value your selves and be wise. Ithink she didnt hate marrige , but she hates the way of treatment that men use them to deal with women.For my point of view,Iwith her in this point. When Icompare women in Islam and christian women Ifound many different things.In Islam the idea of marriage based on mercy,love and respect.
Back to top Go down
Hind Al-ketheriy

PostSubject: Re: 2nd Assignment   2nd Assignment - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 09, 2010 1:20 pm

[color=indigo]hello teacher Smile , and this is my comment

This poem talks about the status of woman in the 18th century , and
the writer describes the position of women and the bad situation that she
was live in. why woman is treated like this way ?,why man is the one who
control but woman can't say anything ? In a word "wife was such as a
servant" freedom is impossible to happen for her in that time and she was
a weak person . I think the marriage was as a cage which she is suffering
inside it , she is only expected to nod and say yes. there was a big
difference between Christianity and Islam , as I realized from the poem
which was written by a Christian woman ,she is telling the real life of the
Christian society and the way that woman was treated by, it's unfair roles
which give men their rights but woman has to be a servant all her life . On
the opposite, Islam kept all woman's rights, she is served as a mother,
protected as a sister and respected as a wife . that's what the prophet
Mohammad said ,If woman wants to be divorced she can have it but
Christian one can't . But now woman' s rights are being broken as what
happen some times in Saudi Arabia which make that similar to the
Christian society . [/color
]
Back to top Go down
Hello,

PostSubject: Re: 2nd Assignment   2nd Assignment - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 09, 2010 1:24 pm

-The first thing which gives a clue is the title To the Ladies. We can under stand this poem is a bout women and it is in 17th & 18th centuries who uneducated and like maid "Wife and Servant are the same,
But only differ in the Name:".
-The message from this poem is to show us how the men disrespect and treat women in that time.
-She is with marriage but she against the way that men treat their wives.
-I absolutely agree with her.
-There is the biggest different between the Muslims women and the Christianity women. In Islam the women like a queen she work, stay at home any thing as she like. Because the Muslims men responsible about their family they give them money and protract them. In that time the women like boss to her home. But, Christianity women they work to get money and she is like a dummy in men hand. I can not see any similarity between Muslims women and the Christianity women.
-When we compare between women's rights in Christian culture during the 17th/18th centuries & Saudi society today. We will find some similarity in Saudi today the men some times disrespect women because they are not following the Islamic roles. Even they hard with men but they protect them. But still have big different between them.
Back to top Go down
Al-hanou

PostSubject: Assignment 2   2nd Assignment - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 09, 2010 1:26 pm

Analysis of ' To The Ladies "
As a woman, the poet wonderfully describe the old relationship between men and woman. Getting married, a woman becomes her husband servant ( wife and servant are the same ). She says they sign a contract of particular partnership that to give him a full life obedience. He becomes her master and her " God " . She does not to ask for freedom or objects his orders. She says here, that man's severity is something natural ( innate ) , he is convinced that if she look , laughed or spoke is against their marriage ( Nuptial Contract ), so it will be broken. A woman could sing but like a " mute" and alone. Ironically, He governs her with " a nod " a sign from his head. Obeying the man he think himself as her God , serving him not do anything but what he sees or thinks right as he is the only one with brain to think. Revolting against fawn and flattering , the poet asks every woman to value and honour themselves by using their wisdom.
* What is her take on marriage ? Is she with / against it ?
__ Her take on marriage is that marriage give the man the authority , the power to be the master and the woman to be the servant not to be equal to him but listens and obeys nothing more.
__I think she is against that .
* What are the differences / similarities between women's rights in Christianity & Islam ?
__ I think they have the same princple that a woman should obey her husband but they differ a lot. In Christianity , a woman has no right even to ask for divorce but in Islam women have the same rights as men . They have the right to speak , to work to be honoured and to have their own ownership. When it becomes to hard to live together , she can ask for her freedom ( divorce ).
* What are the differences / similarities between women's rights in Christian culture during the 17th / 18th centuries & the Saudi society today ?
__ I think they are similar in the way that women should not have the full freedom to do what they like.
__ They differ in : in Christian culture , women were treated badly and cruelty as servants or even as slave. But today in the Saudi society , women are respectably treated and honoured .
Back to top Go down
Raneem AL-Suliman

PostSubject: Re: 2nd Assignment   2nd Assignment - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 09, 2010 1:31 pm

Chudleigh's poem " To the Ladies" talks about the Status of women in the 18th century . The speaker's message in this poem is that women need to value themselves and they have to be proud of themselves .She shows us the role of women at that time when they got married. They are like a servant and they must obey all what their husbands said. She is completely against the marriage and I agree with her. At that time marriage was insult the women, all what they have to be is their husband's servants. They lose their freedom and they can not get divorce because it is forbidden in Christianity. Christianity does not give the women their right in divorce while the Islam does. Husbands must respect their wives in Islam. When we compare the Christian culture during the 18th century and our Saudi society today in women's rights, we notice some similarities. Although Islam ensured the women's rights but there is some men still treat the women as the Christian's men was do. On other hand, some men respect women and treated them very well. This poem is interesting. It makes me think of what will happen in our Saudi society in the future.
Back to top Go down
Ahlam Al-Rowili

PostSubject: Re: 2nd Assignment   2nd Assignment - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 09, 2010 2:04 pm

-The first thing which gives a clue is the title To the Ladies. We can under stand this poem is a bout women and it is in 17th & 18th centuries who uneducated and like maid "Wife and Servant are the same,
But only differ in the Name:".
-The message from this poem is to show us how the men disrespect and treat women in that time.
-She is with marriage but she against the way that men treat their wives.
-I absolutely agree with her.
-There is the biggest different between the Muslims women and the Christianity women. In Islam the women like a queen she work, stay at home any thing as she like. Because the Muslims men responsible about their family they give them money and protract them. In that time the women like boss to her home. But, Christianity women they work to get money and she is like a dummy in men hand. I can not see any similarity between Muslims women and the Christianity women.
-When we compare between women's rights in Christian culture during the 17th/18th centuries & Saudi society today. We will find some similarity in Saudi today the men some times disrespect women because they are not following the Islamic roles. Even they hard with men but they protect them. But still have big different between them.
Back to top Go down
Shaikha Al-Habshan

PostSubject: Re: 2nd Assignment   2nd Assignment - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 09, 2010 2:09 pm

The poem shows the rights of married women at that era. The speaker in an angru tone demonstrates between the wife and the servant by using the metaphor. She describes a wife`s role as if it is a slavery. She is now starting to clarify her point of view about the using of metaphor. After the contraction of marriage the wife will stay with him till death nothing will separate them, as if that contarction as an old thick rope no one can untie it. Then the speaker shows the word that the wife says to her husband after getting married, which is "obey" in order to continue the view of slavery. Therefore, the poor slave which has a title as a wife would not expect anything from his majesty Razz other than respect Him,serve, and obey. He is grown up as a prince, an eatern prince, brutal, careless and must served. Thus, the wife can not do as human innate or more specific as women Wink if she talks or laugh or even look she must take her permission from her husband nod. The wife must be on mute mode Crying or Very sad all the time and again the view of slavery continued the loss of independence from the "fatal knot", the word freedom is srongly associated with slavery. The speaker continues the slavery wife This demonstrates the simplistic, servant like nature a wife will show to her husband and his expectations of her submissiveness towards him. The use of the word"nod" is to show how lower the wife in that era. Here the word "obey" is using for the second time to emphasize the servant role that the wife must perform for her husband. She is not suppose to speakor or do anything. This situation lower the role of the wife as if she`s aservant not a life companion. The husband knows everything he has the mind to think he knows better than she does. Now the tone of the speaker turned into an urgent tone to warn the unmarried women to avoid it and wipes out the sparkling picture of getting married. Married is path they should not choose. Then the speaker advices the married ones in an ecourageous tone to value theirselves against slavery in the name of marriage. Moreover, married women must be wise not to put theirselves in the position of a servant.

Quote :
What is her take on marriage? is she with/against it? Do you agree/disagree with her?

Though her angry tone desribes strongly her point of view, she got married Razz .

Absolutely I`m with her in her poem.

What are the differences/similarities between women's rights in Christianity & Islam?

At this point I see no similarity Only one big difference as Ruba said:

Quote :
One major difference, women in Islam have the right to demand divorce when things don't work out in a marriage similar to the one mentioned in the poem.

This poem shows Christianity women`s rights which totally the opposite in Islam.

What are the differences/similarities between women's rights in Christian culture during the 17th/18th centuries & Saudi society today?

In the 17th-18th century:

Women at that time were observed more as objects of possession to the men than as an equal human being. They were simply useful for nurturing the children and working around the house, otherwise, anything from a woman was not acceptable.

In Saudi society today, women as Ahlam said:
" women are more cherish in Islam and have rights to protect them from being used."

Although women have rights in our great religion, men have thier way in applying those rights. No all men apply the rights, nor all of them ignore.

Regards,
Back to top Go down
shahd allam

PostSubject: Re: 2nd Assignment   2nd Assignment - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 09, 2010 2:14 pm

The poem is about the women's role in 17th and 18th century and how was the man treating her as same as the servant Twisted Evil ,,and her main role was to obey and satisfy her husband ,,wether she is a princess or a maid ,,at the end she's a lady,, all what she has to do is to obey and all what she has to say is okay . Then, the speaker started talking about marriage negatively,, and saying that marriage is a knock and the end of life when life is a freedom ,, so marriage is a death.
Back to top Go down
mona al

PostSubject: my analayiz   2nd Assignment - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 09, 2010 2:27 pm

hi teacher
hope im not late and u will accept it Smile

To the ladies is a poem th written by Mary, Lady Chudleigh , the poem about the married women in 18th C and how their husband treat them , i think that the poet through the poem try to show us how the women were like a servants or even slaves to their husbands and that appear in the poem when she said "Wife and Servant are the same_ But only differ in the Name"
, they have to do what ever they ask them without even talk , she has no right to act like a real women, because women in that centry have no freedom to do any thing they just voiceless and serve his husband "And nothing act, and nothing say" and the man has every thing , he has the right to do what ever he wants because he has the power and the authority " Who with the Pow'r, has all the Wit " .
the message that the speakr wants from us to understand it is that the women should have all the opportunity to clear her self in socity and men should not treat them like a servent and give her the respect that she desrve . i think the speaker is not aginst the mairrage if the man respect the women and treat her as a lady not as a servant which make her voiceless and have no rights to act or talk , and she just show us how women live in that centry , and i agree with her opinion and i see if the man will treat the women like this way she should get married at all .. ! becaus she is a human just like him and more than the prophet told men to treat the women in a god and soft way when he said (رفقا بالقوارير) and god said Sad وعاشروهن بالمعروف) . SO, they have no right to act like this way and if they do WHY WOMEN HAVE TO SUFFER ? .
also , there is many diffrent between women's right in Islam and Christianity , islam give women more rights in life specailly with their husband , they have to listen to them , to give them all what they need , to save them , to take care of them and to even love them , and all that in the holy quran which make all mislam's men follow it On the other hand Christianity religion have not all that right's sometimes they look to women as nothing just as the poet mention in his poem . On my opinon saudi women now have a real big situation in life and socity they act freely, talk with confident , give her opinion
and every body listen even if he dosent accept it more than that she has all her right BuT every rule has an exception so, sure we have some men treat their wifes like this way maybe less but here im talking about what i see in quantity which i did not see it in other religion even Christian culture , but as i said every rule has as exeption , sometimes all that comes from the human and from what he used to see in his family not about religion sometimes a christian man good with his wife more than a mislim man and the oppoiste happen . so , my opinon is the behavior of the man to his wife is not about what his relegion is .. ! but i agree that the women have more right in islam but she get it if the man really follow his relegion .. Smile

thats it , hope u like it Wink
Back to top Go down
mona

PostSubject: Re: 2nd Assignment   2nd Assignment - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 09, 2010 2:35 pm

sorry teacher but
IM mona mansor al gohfaily
class 443
becaus my name isn't clear up .. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Muneerah

PostSubject: Re: 2nd Assignment   2nd Assignment - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 09, 2010 2:40 pm

Firs of all, I like this poem ,it show how they live in that century . Also, It show how weak thy are at that time. So, the most important thing is thankinig God foe being Muslem.
In the first three lines the poet show us the name and the different between them, if there is a real one!. There is no respect , right and love for the woman. She worn the ladies in the poem, worn them to get married of a person who don't respect her OR, worn her of that kind of marriage. Then , the speaker mentioned the word " Obey" which is a strong word that no women say it , only servant do. This word actually show how thy are don't have any respect or right of being "wife" .Love , faith, honest and good relation ship is the last thing that any man think about it in that century.

Muneerah Zaid Al-Kharan
Back to top Go down
Amjad Al-majed

PostSubject: 2nd Assignment   2nd Assignment - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 09, 2010 2:53 pm

"To The Ladies"poem is written in 17th century,in that time the married women do not have any freedom.In the Christianity also the divorce is taboo so if you get married your only option is death.The speaker in this poem talk about the traditional marriage in that century.She compare the wife with the servant.Therefor,the wife does not allowed to say any thing because she is lady and she has not position in the society.Her job is just serve her husband .The speaker also say, if you get married there is no way out and lose your freedom. The wife also fear her husband like God.She completely controlled by the husband,and just take order from the husband.At the end speaker give advice she say"if you get married in this way you lose your freedom so you should value yourselves and be proud of your selves.

When I read this poem,I thank God to be Muslim.Islam is give you more freedom within Islamic teachings,every person has rights in Islam.The marriage in Islam is basic on respect,the wife should respect her husband .On other hand,the husband should respect his wife,the husband also give his wife her rights completely.The wife can say any thing,she also discuss with her husband in every thing. The marriage in Islam is sharing the life.In the Islam if you get married and you do not like your husband you can divorce. Divorce in the Islam is hated but you can do it when you realy need it.

The marriage in Saudi society is completely different from the marriage in this poem. In Saudi society marriage is basic on Islam and it's teachings.Te way of marriage in Saudi society is sharing the life between the wife and the husband.It also order respect from each member of the marriage.Wife in Saudi Arabia these days has complete freedom.

Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Manal Al-Hagbani

PostSubject: Re: 2nd Assignment   2nd Assignment - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 09, 2010 2:56 pm

hello Mrs.Ohoud, Smile
sorry for bieng late .
This is my assignment :

From the beginning of the poem, the speaker tries to send us a message. She tries to show us the state of women in the 17th and 18th centuries. At first, she tells us that both wives and servants have the same life. They both suffer from the same conditions. They don't have chances to express their emotions or feelings. They also have the same fate and hope. Here, the speaker explains their roles in life. At the beginning of women's marriage, they are always promised with honour, love, and respect. After a short time they become as tools in the house. Their only role is to obey instructions and do what they are told. The only word they can say is only yes. They can't reject any thing. They live without ability. The speaker tells us that men are always like princes in their houses. They don't accept any critic. They usually behaves in a gressive way. They don't like to be discussed. She confirms that women may break and lose their lives if they love, speak or laugh. This shows us that women fear the future o f losing their husbands and their homes. She depicts them like dolls as they have no opinions, no vision of the future, and no thought. Here she also depicts the man in his house as a lord. He is the only person who thinks, acts, and should be feared. At the end of the poem, the speaker presents a recipe to all women who want to lead a happy and pride life. She asks them to share in the marital life and not to be nothing in her husband's life.

No doubt that all women should enjoy their complete rights after marriage all over ages. This poem shows the circumstances of women during the 17th and 18th centuries. She shows how they suffered a lot from their marital life. In her opinion, she thinks that marriage isn't the ideal way for women to lead a happy and free life. I disagree with her because social life can't be existed without marriage. Moreover, there are great differences between women's rights in Christianity and Islam. In Islam women enjoy the same rights that men have. They can choose their husbands. They can also get their divorce in case of suffering during marriage. In Christianity, the women didn't live like the women in Islam. Today, in Saudi social women can get their education. They can share in the social and political life, but women in 17th century can't.

I hope you like it. flower
Back to top Go down
Reem Al-Hemaidi

PostSubject: Re: 2nd Assignment   2nd Assignment - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 09, 2010 2:58 pm

Hello,

I think the poem talks about how women were treated at that time.They were pretty much like maids.The poet is against marrige,abviosely, that's what I get from her tone. Also, it talks about men's mistreatment and cruelty to the ladies. At that era when women were not getting their full rights, the poet wrote this poem asking or should I say demanding for their rights. I think that's the message of the poem.
allthough, the weastern world was a wake for women's rights from a long time ago, unlike us whose still afraid of demanding for our rights until this day,honestly. silent
They are ,for sure, centuries beyond us. based on my knowledge in En literature,they were ,disbites every thing else, more open-minded ,at that time and even centuries earlier, than us (the middle-easterns espiciely the saudi society) at this time, the 21st century. Exclamation Exclamation
Back to top Go down
asma al-

PostSubject: 2nd Assignment   2nd Assignment - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 09, 2010 2:58 pm

the poem is talking about women in 18th-17th century,and how she had been Treated,by men,and Society.
The speaker is trying to deliver the message of women should not be Compared with a servant whil she is a wife. She had all the rights of having the same freedom that men had.The speaker is saying that once your married there is no way out, and marriage is a death of any freedom,and there is no way of ending this marriiage but death.I do really agree with her with this piont,no one should take her away from living her live.however, I think that we are the muslim women are honored by GOD, who gaves us all right of living peasfully with gentle husbands.

thnks Mrs. Ohoud, and so sorry for being late Smile
Back to top Go down
Hdeel Ad-Dahash

PostSubject: Re: 2nd Assignment   2nd Assignment - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 09, 2010 3:00 pm

This poem is about ladies status at 18th century. From her point of view she try to make women love themselves and proud. She against with marriage and think they will be no opinion. She compare a wife to a servant. I disagree with her, women must obey there husbands, but not like a servant, life is a partnership.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2nd Assignment   2nd Assignment - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

2nd Assignment
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next