poetry4
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

poetry4

introduction to poetry - level 4

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

3rd Assignment

Go down 
+49
Moneerah Al-Subeeh
Shaikha Al-Habshan
Maram Al-Budya
Monearah Othman Al-Othman
Dalal Al-moghanam
Manal Al-Rasheid
Hala AL-Sayed
Nuha Abdoallah
Asma Al-mashan
Reem Al-Anazi
Deemah Al-Draie
Haila AL-Obaieed
Betoul Ali Al-Mahmoud
Hind Al-ketheriy
Mona mansor Al gohfaily
Ahlam Al-Rowili
maha al-otaibi
Huda Al-dosari
Nawal Al-Fadhel
Hadeyah Bishi
Abeer Al-Shaibani
Areej Ali AL-Qahtani
Lamia AL Nuaim
Ahlam Al-otaibi
Abrar Al-Ghamdi
Hayat Al Waily
Al-Anood Al-Mudemmeg
Sarah Al-Homidi
Ahad Al-Fahad
Sarah Al-Khazzi
Sara Al-Subaie
Amjad Al-majed
Felowah Mansour Shudid
Maha K. Al Dreweesh
IBTIHAL AL-MASOUDI
Hala AL-Turki
Reem Al-Qattan
Anwar Al-Baqmi
Ohoud Al-Ameel
Sumayah AL-Ghailan
Ruba Al_Hebs
Rawan Al-shubaily
Noura Al-Ajlan
Maram Al-Numair
Walaa.Al-ghamdi
Hana Al-Akeel
Moneerah AL-Hantoush
Ashjan Al-suliman
Mrs. Ohoud
53 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Mrs. Ohoud
Admin

3rd Assignment Empty
PostSubject: 3rd Assignment   3rd Assignment EmptyFri Apr 09, 2010 3:13 pm

This thread will be open for 3 weeks. This is because you have a lot of midterms these days and spring break is just around the corner. So, have fun and study well I love you

Prayer before Birth
By Louis MacNeice (1907 - 1963)

I am not yet born; O hear me.
Let not the bloodsucking bat or the rat or the stoat or the
club-footed ghoul come near me.

I am not yet born, console me.
I fear that the human race may with tall walls wall me,
with strong drugs dope me, with wise lies lure me,
on black racks rack me, in blood-baths roll me.

I am not yet born; provide me
With water to dandle me, grass to grow for me, trees to talk
to me, sky to sing to me, birds and a white light
in the back of my mind to guide me.

I am not yet born; forgive me
For the sins that in me the world shall commit, my words
when they speak me, my thoughts when they think me,
my treason engendered by traitors beyond me,
my life when they murder by means of my
hands, my death when they live me.

I am not yet born; rehearse me
In the parts I must play and the cues I must take when
old men lecture me, bureaucrats hector me, mountains
frown at me, lovers laugh at me, the white
waves call me to folly and the desert calls
me to doom and the beggar refuses
my gift and my children curse me.

I am not yet born; O hear me,
Let not the man who is beast or who thinks he is God
come near me.

I am not yet born; O fill me
With strength against those who would freeze my
humanity, would dragoon me into a lethal automaton,
would make me a cog in a machine, a thing with
one face, a thing, and against all those
who would dissipate my entirety, would
blow me like thistledown hither and
thither or hither and thither
like water held in the
hands would spill me.

Let them not make me a stone and let them not spill me.
Otherwise kill me.

P.S: This poem is written at the height of the Second World War. Remember what we said in class about the war and its affect before reading it Wink .
Back to top Go down
https://poetry4.ahlamontada.com
Ashjan Al-suliman

3rd Assignment Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3rd Assignment   3rd Assignment EmptySat Apr 10, 2010 8:16 am

Thank you Mrs.Ohoud
you are the best cheers cheers cheers

For you ~ flower
Back to top Go down
Moneerah AL-Hantoush

3rd Assignment Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3rd Assignment   3rd Assignment EmptyMon Apr 12, 2010 10:36 am

thank you teacher
for this chance.
you are the best..... Surprised Surprised
Back to top Go down
Hana Al-Akeel

3rd Assignment Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3rd Assignment   3rd Assignment EmptySat Apr 17, 2010 10:45 am

This poem is siad by a baby who's not born yet and scared of this world scared of the danger humanity has done to the world especially that the poem was written during a war time, it's even scared of his own kind humans, and asking them to clean up the world to be a better place, if not they should kill before he's born, to not see or witness this violence. i think he speaks for all the societies.
Back to top Go down
Walaa.Al-ghamdi

3rd Assignment Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3rd Assignment   3rd Assignment EmptySun Apr 18, 2010 3:02 am

"Prayer before Birth" is a poem written by Louis MacNeice imagining the
prayer of unborn shild .The child seeks protection from the divine and begs
forgiveness for all the deeds of evil that it shall commit Once it is out of the
mother's protective care .This poem describes humanity destroyed by
humanity because it was written at the height of the Second World War.
Also the repetition of '' I am not yet born ''phrase in the poem is used to
emphasise the child's innocence .
Smile
Back to top Go down
Maram Al-Numair

3rd Assignment Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3rd Assignment   3rd Assignment EmptyTue Apr 20, 2010 4:12 pm

Hi ^_^

My comment:

This poem is called "Prayer before birth" was written by Frederick Louis Macneice.
First of all, this poem shows to us how the speaker is afraid from the second war.
He is afraid from everything including the reality and imagination. He is asking God to protect his.
All people always need to prayer especially those who are realy in problems.
First, he is prayer to God to protect his about everything can hurt him.
Always in this life there is bad and good people, peace and wars.
All these things can crush everything also the animals can do it that.
Then, he is asking God to help his to stay patient. He is afraid because people sharing in wars.
After that, he is prayer and asking God to forgive him for the mistakes he does,
asking God the force to faces the troubles. He is keeping prayer and asking the God.
In the last stanza he is describing his feeling about humiliation. He prefers death than the life to lose his humanism.

That's all. I hope it right. Smile
Back to top Go down
Heesa Ah

3rd Assignment Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3rd Assignment   3rd Assignment EmptyWed Apr 21, 2010 4:28 am

In that era of time, the world suffered from the war and this posh the poet to write this wonderful poem which written on the tongue of the unborn babies. And the poem speaks about the feelings of children when they are born and see the world and the war and murder and bloodshed How can they lives after all these Leroy cruelty in this world this is not fair of Innocent children. In the beginning of each stanza he said ((I am not yet born; O hear me, console me, provide me, forgive me, rehearse me, O fill me)) In these words, find the power of expression and the pain that the speaker is suffering from as he if to say to the world ((Please hear my voice and stop this war it hurts my heart and my feelings)).In the last stanza he Compares the person affected by wars as stones and the war change all people and make them hard hearted and they does not have any feelings and sensations.

Embarassed Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Heesa Ah

3rd Assignment Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3rd Assignment   3rd Assignment EmptyWed Apr 21, 2010 4:44 am

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^
Heesa Ahmad Al-Dosimani

sory but i can't enter my username

i did't now way
scratch
Back to top Go down
Noura Al-Ajlan

3rd Assignment Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3rd Assignment   3rd Assignment EmptyFri Apr 23, 2010 8:50 am

Hi miss <3
hi girlz

This is my comment _

This poem is called "Prayer before birth" was written by Frederick Louis Macneice. First of all in this poem shows us that the speaker is afraid of war and he is afraid of the reality faced by the wars and problems and ask God to protect him. And also imagine the feelings of children at birth, to see war, murder and problems in the world. And shows how the child would live in this life and the cruelty of innocent children do not deserve it. It is afraid that people are involved in wars and ask God to protect them.

And also pray for God will forgive him his mistakes. And God save him.
There is a section that describes his feelings about the humiliation, he would prefer death than life, to lose the esteem of himself and his humanity.
All people need to pray, especially those living in the problems.

I hope it's good .
Back to top Go down
Rawan Al-shubaily

3rd Assignment Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3rd Assignment   3rd Assignment EmptyFri Apr 23, 2010 3:19 pm

''Prayer before Birth '' is a poem written by Louis MacNeice . At the first , the poet looks through the eyes of unborn child . He asks God to protect him from the dangerouses of life . He is afraid to live a life of a dirty like when he says '' drugs , lies '' . Then , he asks God for forgiveness for all bad things that people doing for instance : wars , murder and drugs users . Also , he asks God for forgiveness for anything bad that he will do in futur like killing people or betray his country , because he forced to do it . Finally , the poet talks to parents , government and all people to help children , the new generation , to live in a pure life , better life and peaceful life in future . He hopes that the children be more transparent and cleaner more than us .

I think the writer is right . we live now with a lot of danger and fear . We need to be one hand to face all the difficulties of life . If we are still aganist each other , we will live a life full of fears , worries and famine .
Back to top Go down
Ruba Al_Hebs

3rd Assignment Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3rd Assignment   3rd Assignment EmptySun Apr 25, 2010 7:28 am

"Prayer before Birth"

...........War, death, diseases and a baby on the way, couldn't have been a better timing! With the World War _ doesn't matter which one; still a war_ going on, something like expecting a baby sounds … not perfect. It seems as if raising the baby isn't the only thing to worry about, there are its safety, health, residence and most of all, humanity to be considered. In "Prayer before Birth" Louis MacNeice sheds the light on the main worries. The speaker introduces us first to the fears of the night, the frightening fears of all. He mentions bats, rats, stoats and anything that sucks blood. Night time and a choppy home are the perfect place and time for them to show, harming and disturbing a baby's sleep. Then, he moves to the human race and its plans for the child which involve drugs, lies, walls, racks and blood-baths, a dark and evil plans so to say. Next, comes the one bright stanza where the speaker asks to be provided with water, grass, trees, sky, birds and a guiding light. This draws a picture of a perfect childhood, a normal one where happiness is all that matters. After that, the speaker takes us back to the dark, asking for forgiveness for sins he hasn't committed yet but shall, for his words, thoughts and treasons. He keeps on, saying that he wants to rehearse for the parts he'll play, the lectures he'll receive from old men and the frowns, laughs and curses he'll get. The unborn begs to be protected from the beasts and to be filled with strength to fight who plans to freeze the human inside him, to drag him into being a cold-blooded killer and to blow him everywhere like a thistledown! His last wish is to not be made a stone by them, to not be split, otherwise he prefers to be killed.

...........The description in this poem fits the present quite closely. Although there is no World War, there are wars all over the world. Taking this in the consideration brings us back to worrying about the generations that have to live with this, makes us pray for them to be safe, fed, dressed, healthy, moral and have some humanity in them.
Back to top Go down
Sumayah AL-Ghailan

3rd Assignment Empty
PostSubject: 3rd Assignment   3rd Assignment EmptyMon Apr 26, 2010 11:29 am

This poem is called "Prayer before birth". It was written by Frederick Louis Macneice. at the beginning of this poem, ha side “I am not yet born” I think he wish that he did not born to see the war and all bad things which happened for those people who live between the war and they feel scared because of war. He pray to God to stop this war which killed a lot of innocent people. He can not see these things and help them by fighting with his country for nothing. They want to kill me with bad emotion which affect to me with this war. He can not imagine himself after that war because his children will curse him because he is simply soldier and he fight in this war for nothing. Finally, he pray to God to forgive him for every thing he did at that time un the war.
Back to top Go down
Ohoud Al-Ameel

3rd Assignment Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3rd Assignment   3rd Assignment EmptyMon Apr 26, 2010 11:39 am

''Prayer before Birth '' is a poem written by Louis MacNeice during the Second World War.the first , the poet describes the feeling of unborn babies after they born and see the war.Also , he wants to stoop this war to makes these babies live in pure life . AS well as , this war affect in thier life and that not thier guilt they have to live in pace . In addition ,he asks god to forgiveness for the sins.finally , I think this poet is right .
Back to top Go down
Anwar Al-Baqmi

3rd Assignment Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3rd Assignment   3rd Assignment EmptyMon Apr 26, 2010 2:03 pm

This poem is "prayer before birth " was written by fred erick louis macneice. The poet describes the feeling of before bron babies after born and see the warfare . Then ,he asks god to request him from the dangerous of life. also,he is afraid of warfare and he is afraid to live alife .in addition, he describes his feelings about the humiliation. he asks god to forgiveness for the sins.
Back to top Go down
Reem Al-Qattan

3rd Assignment Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3rd Assignment   3rd Assignment EmptyTue Apr 27, 2010 2:48 pm

The Second World War was a global conflict in the world. And it was the most extended in history. It brought up in 1937 in Asia, and 1939 in Europe. Then, it continued until 1945. More than 100 million people engaged in the war. And about 70 million of them killed. The people faced this war and lived the pain in it. The effect of war appeared in some personality works, Such as the paintings and poems to explain what the people suffered through the war. One of these works is the "prayer before birth" by Louis MacNeice.

The poem "prayer before birth" shows to us the fears of the speaker from the war. And he is as if a child reproves the world for what happen for him. In addition, he asks of somebody to hear him. And tells him why he sees the human as if an ogre or bat lives for his blood. Also, he wishes that he didn't born, because his birth needs the consolation of us. He suffers of looking the human race that around of blood. Now, he needs some of caress. And he wants to play with the nature, with grass that grow for him, trees that talk with him, sky that sings to him, and white birds that wipe the fearful pictures of his mind. Then, the speaker thinks that all what happen for him, because he is a guilty. So, he should ask forgiveness and discipline if his behavior was not good. And hopes the help to give him a little of his rights. Finally, he implores the world to kill him. Or stop the torment him. He uses the repetitions to confirm his true require.

cat clown cat
Back to top Go down
Hala AL-Turki

3rd Assignment Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3rd Assignment   3rd Assignment EmptyTue Apr 27, 2010 5:49 pm

The poem speaks about an unborn child and his fears of life, especially his fear of Second World War because the poem was written in that era. This child pray to God that to protect him from all evil. Also , the child asks God to forgive him all his bad works which is possible to be committed in the future. At the end of the poem, the child want to die rather than live a life of harsh .
Back to top Go down
Mrs. Ohoud
Admin

3rd Assignment Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3rd Assignment   3rd Assignment EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 8:03 am

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to remind you that this Friday is the deadline for posting your comments. It's been three weeks already.

Good luck..
Back to top Go down
IBTIHAL AL-MASOUDI

3rd Assignment Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3rd Assignment   3rd Assignment EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 8:44 am

hello Mrs.Ohoud
I hope that u enjoyed ur break Smile
I could not understand the assignment Suspect
do u want from us to explain what we understod it or the tone or what Question
I confused scratch
:
Back to top Go down
Maha K. Al Dreweesh

3rd Assignment Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3rd Assignment   3rd Assignment EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 10:47 am

Hi Miss

this comment is for Aziza Ghulam Abbas.
Class: 443

This poem is about the child who is not born yet. He is praying to his God to make the world safety to live in it.He is afraid from his futur because there are many dangerous that he faces in his life. For

example: ˝ unpleasant people˝. In the first stanza the name of animals are referring to people. (Blood suking bat, rat, and stoat) are symbols of evil people who bring torment and afflication. Also, he fears

from human who lure him and dope him. Inaddition, the speaker choise nature to provide him not people because he feels the nature console him. In the laststanza, he prays that if he can not live without dangerous and blood he prefers to kill him .

Last edited by Maha K. Al Dreweesh on Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Maha K. Al Dreweesh

3rd Assignment Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3rd Assignment   3rd Assignment EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 10:48 am

Here is my comment

Prayer before birth , by Louis MacNice is a sad poem at al . The speaker asks human to stop war , killing and all bad deeds , before children grow up and sharing in it .Then he says I am not old enough to understand , why you are killing each other . So, listen to me and keep me away from dangers . He compares killer people with a wild animal and ghoul all of them are bestial .Then he chooses the words ( wise lies ) to show us how people are not say the truth about war . They always say we will live in peace but they do not do that . [Blood baths roll me ] means many and many of my family and friend are die so , I roll with blood. He talks about his desire to beauty , happy and nature things , such as water , sky and birds . He remembers enjoyment time and beautiful things before the war starts ( in the back of my mind ) .In the sixth stanza he seems as a frail child , because of beast man , who believes in himself as God and want to control world . At the next stanza the speaker want to have full emotion of strength to fight that man , who want people be as a automaton with out any feelings and make them a part of his plan ( a cog in a machine ) . At the end the speaker want to kill himself if people continue the war . Finally , I agree with Ruba Al Hbs when she draws our attention to all children in wars around the world not only in the second one .

Last edited by Maha K. Al Dreweesh on Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:37 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : spelling mistakes :D)
Back to top Go down
Mrs. Ohoud
Admin

3rd Assignment Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3rd Assignment   3rd Assignment EmptyWed Apr 28, 2010 12:25 pm

Hi Ibtehal,

This is like every other assignment. Just write what you understood from the poem in general. Try to analyze the poem as a whole. You're allowed to make mistakes and to have your own opinion.
Back to top Go down
Felowah Mansour Shudid

3rd Assignment Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3rd Assignment   3rd Assignment EmptyThu Apr 29, 2010 3:29 am

"Prayer before birth "written by Louis MacNeice this poem is about unborn child who is afraid from the life. He wrote "Prayer before birth "because of the suffering of wars at that time and he wishes do not born and do not see the bad things that happen. Moreover he prayers and asks his god to protect him from the human race" and the animals like a" rat" and" bloodsucking bat". Also, he asks god to forgive all people from their mistakes.
Back to top Go down
Amjad Al-majed

3rd Assignment Empty
PostSubject: 3rd Assignment   3rd Assignment EmptyThu Apr 29, 2010 4:56 am

This poem "Prayer Before Birth" is written by Louis MacNeice.He writes it during the height of the second world war.He was very frustrated by the damages and catastrophes that resulted from this war.The name of the poem is clear that he wanted to have a new life,a life which is better than life he lives.He describes the war and the bad effects of it.For example,blood sucking,club-footed,black racks and the stoat.As a result,he thinks that the beggar refused his gifts and his children curses him because of the things he has left to them.All these sins which he committed in his life were a symbol of destroying everything during war.So,we must try to fix everything before it is going to be late otherwise I prefer to be killed rather than to live in this bad life and the consequences that are going to happen after it.

cheers
Back to top Go down
Sara Al-Subaie

3rd Assignment Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3rd Assignment   3rd Assignment EmptyThu Apr 29, 2010 5:43 am

The poet here wrote his remarkable poem in complete details which is a good thing in poetry .write from your deep feelings that is what the speaker is doing here . In the second world wide war, people haven’t been taking their rights. Torturing, killing and humiliating was not something strange in war .The speaker here is so furious that he repeated this verse( I am not yet born) the reason why he repeated it in every stanza is because he wanted his pride back . Every human being has the right to live that is what the speaker is saying. If you notice that he gave some expressions at the end like : O fear me , O fill me that show that he is fed up and it is time for him to take his rights

(Let not the man who is beast or who thinks he is God
come near me.)

He compared his enemy to a scary beast and he was so brave to say come near me . because his enemies have more power than him and he had no fear from them any more

I also love the verse where he says:

(With strength against those who would freeze my
humanity,)

The poet here is using a metaphor . The humanity does not really freeze . What he means is don’t mess with it or humiliate it .

At the end I really apologies for my late post and this was not the greats analysis but I TRIED

J.J. 3rd Assignment Icon_basketball
Back to top Go down
Sarah Al-Khazzi

3rd Assignment Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3rd Assignment   3rd Assignment EmptyThu Apr 29, 2010 6:12 am

World War II was a major turning point in world history. It has many affects on people, a huge number of civilians were killed, a lot of families were destroyed, and so many things we can't even mention. Since the poem "Prayer before Birth" was written in the time of WWII, it shows the result of WWII affects on the speaker. The speaker expresses his fears about the current state of the world through the voice of unborn child. He shows how harsh and devilish the world is. If a new baby is born in this world it would kill his innocent. He is crying for help. It is a great poem shows how WWII affect people.

Last edited by Sarah Al-Khazzi on Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

3rd Assignment Empty
PostSubject: Re: 3rd Assignment   3rd Assignment Empty

Back to top Go down

3rd Assignment
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next