poetry4
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

poetry4

introduction to poetry - level 4

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

1st Assignment

Go down 
+66
أزهار المسكين
Anfal Al-Modarraa'
Betoul Ali Al-Mahmoud
Abrar Al-Ghamdi
Zinab Bajou
Manal Al-Hagbani
Monira Al-Otaibi
Bedoor Al-Ali
Hind Al-ketheriy
Latifah Al-Helal
Rawan Al-shubaily
Deemah Al-Draie
Monearah Othman Al-Othman
Shaikha Al-Habshan
Nawal Al-Fadhel
Al-Annod Al-Sayary
Moneirah Al-Wetaid
Norah AL-Modiny
Ohoud Al-amri
Ahlam Al-Rowili
Ebtisam Al-Anezi
Hala AL-Sayed
Areej Ali AL-Qahtani
Dalal Al-moghanam
Hayat Al Waily
Maram Al-Budya
Ashjan Al-suliman
Asma Al-mashan
sara tami al-bugami
Basma AL- Dhergham
Noura Al-Ajlan
maha al-otaibi
هند الصالحي
Lama AL_Marshed
Felowah Mansour Shudid
Dalal Al-Flaij
Abeer Al-Shaibani
Sarah Al-Homidi
Sara Al-Subaie
Anwar Al-Baqmi
Moneerah AL-Hantoush
Amjad Al-majed
Maram Al-Numair
Hala AL-Turki
Haila AL-Obaieed
Lamia AL Nuaim
Norah Al-madi
Hadeyah Bishi
Heesa Al-Dosimani
Ruba Al_Hebs
Ohoud Al-Ameel
asma almoajil
Ahad Al-Fahad
Amal abdurhman Albawardi
Nouf Al-Mutairy
Reem Al-Qattan
Al-Anood Al-Mudemmeg
may Al-mutiri
Ahlam Al-otaibi
Maha K. Al Dreweesh
sultana M
Walaa.Al-ghamdi
Sarah Abu Habib
Hana Al-Akeel
Sarah Al-Khazzi
Mrs. Ohoud
70 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Norah Al-madi

1st Assignment - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1st Assignment   1st Assignment - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 21, 2010 1:17 pm

the speaker is describing her daughter .she is comparing herself with her daughter and she realized that she became an old woman.the youth of her daughter her hair,skin,body made her noticed that she got old .
in my point of view i think that every one will get old one day but ,what is important is that how you spent your past .it seemed that she is proud because she raised a little girl to be a young lady
Back to top Go down
Lamia AL Nuaim

PostSubject: Re: 1st Assignment   1st Assignment - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 21, 2010 2:40 pm

The title 35\10 suggest the ages of the mother- 35 and the daughter is – 10. The speaker in this poem is the mother who is brushing her daughter's brown hair in front of the mirror. Suddenly, she sees the grey hair on her head, the first reaction she has is anger and regret. The mother expresses these feelings by calling herself" the silver-haired servant behind her". She compares herself to her daughter and her tone is regretful and questioning. She feels that her life is reaching to the end while her daughter's life is just beginning. The mother talks about physical changes her aging body and her daughter's blooming body, it goes until the end of the poem. There is a simile when the mother compares her daughter to "moist precise flower on the tip of a cactus". Also, she compares her dry wrinkling skin to her daughter's smooth skin. Then she talks about bearing children, while she is coming to an age which she can't have a baby any more, her daughter is just joining feminine world. After that, she go back to the original image of brushing her daughter's hair and she takes her own story to connect it to the real life." The story of death and life "she call it the story of replacement and she figure out that it is not that bad after all. When she comes to the end of her life her daughter's will replace her. Finally, when she realizes that everyone in this life is sharing her experience, her feelings of anger and regret decrease.

cheers
Back to top Go down
Haila AL-Obaieed

PostSubject: Re: 1st Assignment   1st Assignment - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 21, 2010 5:20 pm

Sharan Olds writes a very great poem, it is 35/10 and it is symbol of comparing between old person who has a lot of experiences and young person who does not have any experience in life and he begins to live . This poem talks about old mother in 35 years old compares between her oldest look and her youngest daughter look who is in 10 years old. In the first eight lines while the mother brushing her daughter's hair she begins to look at the mirror and comparing her grey gleaming hair and her daughter's brown silken hair. Then she moves to her neck that has a fold in it and it shows her bones under it and it is also clears her oldest years that makes her sad. Also her skin does that with its dry pitting . In this poem there is simile in the tenth line and the following lines also when she compare between the chances for her daughter to bear children that it is easy for her with the flower which live and open in a moist place which it is a easy and perfect place for a flower to live in like the chances to bear babies for a young woman but her chances less than her daughter's chances because she is old but she try and suffer to bear just one child at least like a flower which live on the tip of a thorny plants and it try to live and open between thorns even if it is hard to do .And she thinks that her daughter's chances resemble a purse full of eggs that can give babies and purse is a symbol of youth because it is a kind of be modern and the young woman likes that . Then, while she comparing she think that she should realize this fact that the oldest die and the younger become in their place .
thank you teacher for the nice poem 1st Assignment - Page 2 Icon_flower
Back to top Go down
Hala AL-Turki

PostSubject: .   1st Assignment - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 22, 2010 10:59 am

Sharon Olds' poem , "35/10" is a narrative poem . The mother is the speaker and she speaks directly to us . The title refers to the age of the mother and her daughter , the mother is 35 years old and her daughter is 10 years old . The poem shows us the difference between the mother and her daughter such as gray, silver, dry pitting, and dud represents the mother, while silken, flower, full, and round represent the daughter. Also, the poem show us that the daughter will take the place of the mother because the daughter flourish while the mother wilt .
Back to top Go down
Maram Al-Numair

PostSubject: Re: 1st Assignment   1st Assignment - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 24, 2010 5:50 am

In this poem the speaker is comparing between youth and older. We know that from the title the mother 35 years age and her daughter 10 years age. The speaker is comparing herself with her daughter. Her daughter has net pure skin and brown silk hair but she has grey hair and pale skin. She is depressing and jealous from her daughter. The speaker says to her daughter I was in youth and I had a brown silk hair and perfect skin and my mother was like me now had gray hair and a fold in her neck. It is a replacement story you will be like me and my mother and your daughter will be like you now.
Back to top Go down
Amjad Al-majed

PostSubject: 1st Assignment   1st Assignment - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 24, 2010 7:00 am

35/10 is a narrative poem written by Sharon Olds.The speaker is a mother who has 35 years and brushes her daughter's hair in front of the mirror.The mother see herself and her daughter in the mirror,she see the clear differences between them.Then,she begin to compare herself with her daughter.She compare her daughter's hair which is brown and silky with her hair which is grey and gleaming.Also,she look at the daughter's skin which is perfect.In that moment,she begin to feel that she is a servant for the beautiful young girl. She become jealous from her daughter.Then, she is realization that the young girl in the beginning of her life.At the end , the mother know that is the story of replacement.

Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Moneerah AL-Hantoush

PostSubject: Re: 1st Assignment   1st Assignment - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 24, 2010 8:14 am

:flower: Hello every body. This is my analyzing for the poem: Very Happy
The meaning of the title is the speaker's age and her daughter's

Age. The speaker of "35/10" talk about the life circle and what time do to

person by comparing between herself and her daughter. She compare her

un good and grey hair to her daughter's silky and brown hair. She also talk

about her daughter's body that is soft and beautiful. She said that her

daughter look like an open flower which does not die. She said all that to her

daughter as a bedtime story. A story of the youngest replace the oldest.

Thank you all. cheers
Back to top Go down
Anwar Al-Baqmi

PostSubject: assignments   1st Assignment - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 24, 2010 10:07 am

Its anarrative poem written by sharon olds in which the mother her daughter.the mother talks the mirror than comparing heself to daughter.she decribing her daughter.the daughter has silky brown hair bout mother has gray hair.It is astory replacement I think because the mother finds her self in her daughter.
Back to top Go down
Sara Al-Subaie

PostSubject: Re: 1st Assignment   1st Assignment - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 24, 2010 11:36 am

In this poem the poet gives us a back ground of different generation and how life goes through changes .Honestly I would like to send my appreciation to our teacher Ahoud for giving us the courage to express our feelings 1st Assignment - Page 2 Herz ..Well then here I let you with my analysis

In the first verse Sharon olds describes in details how the mother brushes her own daughters soft and brown hair very gentle in front of the mirror .While she is doing that, the mother glances on the mirror and takes a deep look at her beautiful young daughter with a smile” it kind of reminded her of the past than she started talking to her self. Looking at the mirror she observes her grey hair on her head and was wondering 1st Assignment - Page 2 Icon_exclaim how can I an old helpless lady be a servant to this young brown haired girl like a princess waiting for someone to do something for her (he uses grey and brown) because they symbolize to old and youth. Just as the years pass by, the wrinkles on my neck begin to show and my bones are hardly strong to do my duties not only that but even my skin is starting to dry just like a spring flower on a tip of a cactus(It means that this age is very hard and difficult and when any body goes through it, they should be prepared for a suffering journey .It is almost similar to a flower coming out of a cactus struggling unlike a flower coming out from the dirt sprightly. Than in the following verses the poet explains how old she is that she is so weak her body can not handle anything any more especially when it comes to taking care of a child. Her children are falling from her body one after another to a point that she is not able to control them no more.(the poet used” are falling through my body” to refer to the generations) .Going along the poet gives us a description of her and that these eggs in her purse(Here is an exaggeration that the generations are out numbered too many that he compared them to eggs ). These eggs are firm and rough exactly like a boiled yolk (It means she is pregnant carrying these children. there might be a possibility that she will loose these generations just like a hair pin snapping a way from her. Finally, after all this she comes back to her own self in the bedroom brushing out her daughters tangles right before bed. This story was considered an old very old story that lived through ages on our planet .She was actually talking about her mother in the past and that she came and took her place.((Every generation replaces another this is how life goes))

J.J. 1st Assignment - Page 2 Icon_basketball
Back to top Go down
Sarah Al-Homidi

PostSubject: Re: 1st Assignment   1st Assignment - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 25, 2010 4:01 am

''35/10'' is a narrative poem written by sharon olds which is about comparing between diffrent age the mother and her daughter. the title refers the mother is 35 years old and her daughter is 10 years old. The speaker describe and comparing what he saw in his mother and how she was. when the mother is in front of the mirror she notes the changes such as the brown hair of her daughter and her grey hair. Also, she notes that her mother’s skin look is dry and pale like neck, while skin of her daughter’s is like a flower like hip. It is a replacement story the mother was the daughter and the daughter will be mother. This is the reality of the life. cheers
Back to top Go down
Hadeyah Bishi

PostSubject: Re: 1st Assignment   1st Assignment - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 25, 2010 4:11 am

Aziza Ghulam Abbass‎

When we look to the title, we can not know what does it means. But after reading the poem we know that is a symbol of age of mother and daughter This poem consist of contrast between the mother and daughter. The daughter has brown silky hair. Also, she likes a beautiful flower .But the mother has silver shining hair. Also, she has a dry skin. So, we can learn that all people have roles in their life from childhood to the old age. The mother has finished her roles in her life and now it is last age .But her daughter still she is young and she has time in her life to enjoy. But after all she will be just likes her mother.
Back to top Go down
Abeer Al-Shaibani

PostSubject: Re: 1st Assignment   1st Assignment - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 25, 2010 4:26 am

Salam,

here's my analysis for the poem ..

The speaker of this poem is a 35-year-old woman who showed us how time, years and life can play a role in changing a person from one situation to another. The old lady was brushing her 10-year-old daughter’s hair in front of a mirror which enabled her to see herself and her daughter and to notice the differences they both have between each other. Then, she started to compare between her hair and her daughter’s. She showed us the difference between a brown silken hair and a gleaming grey hair. Sadly, she begun wondering " Why is it just as we begin to go they begin to arrive?". Also, she compared her folded neck with the sharpening hips of her daughter. The mother kept on describing the major differences between them until she finally realized that what was happening in front of her eyes was a part of the circle of life and the replacement process.

Thank you ..
Back to top Go down
Marwah B

PostSubject: 441   1st Assignment - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 25, 2010 7:19 am

The speaker is sensitive poet. She is very emotional. The speaker is a mother brushing of her daughter's hair. The mother is 35 years old and her daughter is 10 years old. She describe her daughter's hair. She compare between herself and her daughter. Also, she observes that she come to be old but her daughter come to be beautiful young woman. In the last verse "the story of replacement" I understand from it that she see herself when she look to her daughter. Also, she knew that her daughter will take her place after she dead.
Back to top Go down
Marwah B

PostSubject: 441   1st Assignment - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 25, 2010 7:23 am

Marwah Ba-Sunbul 441
Back to top Go down
Dalal Al-Flaij

PostSubject: Re: 1st Assignment   1st Assignment - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 25, 2010 7:26 am

Hi flower
The speaker in this poem is a mother , she is brushing her daughter’s hair before a mirror and telling the replacement story . When she looks to her daughter, she remembers her childhood, also after years her daughter will become old woman. She describes her self, and the following words symbolizes that she became old woman (silver-haired , the fold in my neck, hips sharpen, dry pitting ). The title means her age is 35 years and her daughter's age is 10 years.
Back to top Go down
Muneerah

PostSubject: Re: 1st Assignment   1st Assignment - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 25, 2010 8:32 am

Salam,

When I read the poem, I noticed that the title reflects the ages of tow characters in the poem. 35 means the age of the speaker and 10 means her daughter`s age . Also I noticed that the poem talks about two different generations . The speaker compares herself with her daughter. She compares her daughter`s hair which is silky and brown with her hair which is grey. Also, she sees how her daughter becomes beautiful, blooms as a flower and has a nice moist skin while she has fold on her skin. Then she talks about herself that she becomes week and she cannot take care of children anymore. In the last 3 lines the speaker brushes her daughter`s hair to bedtime and she thinks of replacement that she was a young girl then she took her mother`s place and became a mother and on one day, her daughter will be a mother.
Back to top Go down
Muneearh

PostSubject: Re: 1st Assignment   1st Assignment - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 25, 2010 8:35 am

Muneerah Al-Kharan 443
Back to top Go down
Felowah Mansour Shudid

PostSubject: Re: 1st Assignment   1st Assignment - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 25, 2010 9:39 am

35/10

35/10 is a narrative poem written by Sharon Olds. The speaker in this poem is a mother of young girl . She is 35 years old and her daughter is 10 years old. The mother wants to compare between her and her daughter .She is before the mirror and sees the differences between her and her daughter who has brown silky hair ,and she has silver hair.She also describes fold on her nick as an old woman , and she compares it with " bones of her hips sharpen " of her young girl . Also ,there are differences between their skin because of the age.In the end the speaker shows us that this poem is just an story to her daughter before her sleeps.
Back to top Go down
Lama AL_Marshed

PostSubject: Re: 1st Assignment   1st Assignment - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 25, 2010 9:57 am

Sharon Olds is an American poet who wrote a narrative poem 35/10. The speaker in this poem is the mother. She wants to mention the different between generations. The speaker camper herself to her daughter; even though, she is realizing that she is aging, while her daughter is blooming. This cooperation is biological differences that her daughter has brown silky hair, while his mother has a gray hair. So, she wants to mention that age has affected her skin, shap, and hair. It is appearing in this verse 'I see the grey gleaming on my head'. It is a story of replacement, because the mother finds herself in her daughter. The word such as gray, silver, dry, and pitting represent the mother, while silken, flower, full, round represent daughter. In the end we know that the title simply represent the ages of the mother being 35 and the daughter being 10.

flower flower flower flower
Back to top Go down
هند الصالحي

PostSubject: Re: 1st Assignment   1st Assignment - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 25, 2010 10:56 am

The poem “35/10” is a narrative poem about a mother realizes that she is aging as her daughter is blooming. It expresses Sharon Olds’ personal thoughts and emotions. The title simply represents the ages; the mother is 35 and the daughter is 10. The language and style in the poems is simple and understandable. This style shows the difference between the mother and daughter. Words such as gray, silver, dry pitting, and dud represents the mother, while silken, flower, full, and round represent the daughter. The images in this poem can best be described as visual, “the grey gleaming”, “and the fine bones”, “like a moist precise flower”. In the poem, Olds is expressing sadness that her life is over as her daughter's is beginning, “Why is it just as we begin to go they begin to arrive”. In conclusion, it is a narrative poem with the speaker being the authors.
Back to top Go down
maha al-

PostSubject: 3510   1st Assignment - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 25, 2010 11:43 am

good evening flower

"35\10" is written by Sharo Olds, she is Amarican poet and author of eight volumes of poetry, and she is born1942. The title of a poem is about mother speakers for her young daughter, also the difference age both of 35 and10 years. That meaning, they have a lot of comparison between mother and her sweet daughter such as silver, grey, skin and dud with a brown hair, flower, round and full. That shows how much change for her life and no one will be the same look. In the end of the story is a replacement for her daughter will be like her mother. The poem is the message for young daughter will be old in the future.

thank you.... Wink Wink Wink
Back to top Go down
maha al-otaibi

PostSubject: 3510   1st Assignment - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 25, 2010 12:04 pm

up

sorry teacher>>> Embarassed

I am copy again in this page to know my name

"35\10" is written by Sharo Olds, she is Amarican poet and author of eight volumes of poetry, and she is born in 1942. The title of a poem is about mother speakers for her young daughter, also the difference age both of 35 and10 years. That meaning, they have a lot of comparison between mother and her sweet daughter such as silver, grey, skin and dud with a brown hair, flower, round and full. That shows how much change for her life and no one will be the same look. In the end of the story is a replacement for her daughter will be like her mother. The poem is the message for young daughter will be old in the future.

maha Al-otaibi -442
Back to top Go down
Noura Al-Ajlan

PostSubject: Re: 1st Assignment   1st Assignment - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 25, 2010 12:30 pm

hi miss <3
hi girlz
how r u all ?

this is my comment

The poem 35\10 by Sharon Olds is a narrative poem. A comparison between the daughter and her mother. Speaker is talking about the mother when she saw her face and hair in the mirror she noticed changes in them. She noted gray hair and wrinkles in the face and the changes that have a physical. The angry and feel great regret for her life. And the mother feels that her life will end, while her daughter will start. Talks about the physical changes with aging mother and daughter have a pair of the body. And so on until the end of the poem.There is a metaphor between the mother and daughter "moist precise flower on the tip of a cactus".Finally,the mother feels that her life ended and her daughter's life will begin and will be replaced in the future.A poem like the story of replacement.

I hope my answer is correct .
Back to top Go down
Basma AL- Dhergham

PostSubject: Re: 1st Assignment   1st Assignment - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 25, 2010 12:55 pm

Hi ,, Every One Very Happy

In the poem, “35/10” by Sharon Olds, the speaker uses jealous tones to express her feeling about her daughter and her age.
The speaker, a thirty-five year old woman, realizes that as the door to w is opening for her ten year old daughter, it is starting to close for her.

She feels that her power is weakening and her daughter’s power is strengthening.
These phrases indicate that the daughter is strong and powerful, while the speaker is weak. The jealous tone disappears at the end
Her daughter must mature so she can create new life, just as the speaker did ten years ago. She knows that fially her daughter will replace her and that the life process will continue to repeat itself for the generations .
( her daughter’s as, “brown/silken hair” ) This simple use of color emphasizes the difference between daughter and speaker right from the start of the poem.
Another use of imagery is when the speaker describes her own hair as, “silver-haired .

flower
Back to top Go down
sara tami al-bugami

PostSubject: Re: 1st Assignment   1st Assignment - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 25, 2010 2:18 pm

Hello this is my analyzing

35\10" is written by Sharo Olds, she is American poet and author of eight volumes of poetry. It is a narrative poem. A comparison between the daughter and her mother. In specific it is about comparing between different ages the mother and her daughter. the title refers the mother is 35 years old and her daughter is 10 years old and it represent to us how life can changing a person appearance .first, the mother was brushing her daughter's hair in front of mirror in that time she started to notice the differences which they both have between each other. She showed us the difference between a brown silken hair and a gleaming grey hair. After that she compared her folded neck with the sharpening hips of her daughter kept on describing the major differences between them. At the end, the life replaces the old generation with a new one. You win some you lose some. This is the reality of the life...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 1st Assignment   1st Assignment - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

1st Assignment
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next